General New Tweak - iWebBoost

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BumpyFlatline, Jan 18, 2014.

1. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

There's a new tweak from the same developers as iTouchSecure and iRealSMS called iWebBoost. The tweak enables "JIT (Just In Time) Compiling" for 3rd party web content apps. This tweak speeds up JavaScript performance for 3rd party apps like browsers, Facebook, etc.

They claim it makes JavaScript 2-5 times faster.

I don't know much about JavaScript. Does anyone know if these claims made by the developer are true? I'm thinking of buying it if it truly does work. Or is this one of those placebos where real world usage you can't tell with the naked eye? Either way, I think it costs only a $1.

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Nitrous does the same, dunno which is cheaper. I've been using Nitrous for years and am very satisfied, browsing in in-app browsers is just as fast as with Safari. Such tweaks are definitely worth it. I can recommend Nitrous as it's been around quite a bit longer and is still being updated.

3. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

I've always used Nitrous. $0.99. Sounds like the same thing.

4. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Ahhh ok thanks. Didn't realize JIT compiling was the same thing as the nitro engine. I've been using nitrous forever. I'll just stick with that. Thanks for clarifying!

5. azanoncello macrumors newbie

The funny thing is that with Nitrous installed if I go to the test site listed in iWebBoost screenshots in Chrome I get the lower score compared with the same site in Safari. Could this be an iOS 7 thing? Maybe an 64bit issue?

Is Nitrous actually working in iOS 7? Has anyone done any real tests to show it?

I'm personally running this on an iPhone 5s. Nitrous on.
    speed-battle.com
    Chrome: 43.59
    Safari: 363.14

6. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wow. That's crazy. Well the app has been updated for iOS 7. Stupid question, but did you enable it in settings?

Are you gonna try iWebBoost?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…not surprised to find this today. Dealt with a ton of issues all day yesterday and towards the end I found this tweak.

Yes, iWebBoost is probably the same as Nitrous, or maybe does the same thing, but differently.

Unfortunately for me, Nitrous stopped working on iOS 6 a few weeks back when I installed an update and ended up in Safe Mode with it installed. So, Nitrous was removed at that time. iWebBoost works for me.

As far as Javascript, yes, JIT is a real thing. I happen to know because if you want to browse the web on older Macs (PowerPC) Javascript is one of the biggest hurdles to things working properly. Newer Macs and PCs have the processing power to handle the truckloads of Javascript that websites spit out now. But, older Macs have to deal with this and because the processor is much slower and we are using older web browsers (because the devs left us behind at Leopard 10.5.8) our browsers tend to choke on the overload.

JIT is a component of most web browsers. The idea is to render JS on the fly in realtime. Now, I know more about it (except coding it) than I ever wanted to know because it's a component of TenFourFox, which is a fork of Mozilla Firefox that keeps PowerPC Macs running a current, modern web browser. Apple holds this back I guess, just like with the Nitrous engine.

So…yes, JIT is a real thing and this tweak is worth the 99¢.

8. azanoncello macrumors newbie

Haha. Yes it was turned on. Sorry that's what I meant by "Nitrous on".

I wonder if the two will conflict with one another if I get it. This site seems to indicate that both tweaks are untested on 64bit which is what leads me to believe why I get poor results with Nitrous right now.
    https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid=1m466b44658ede8d741fcabcefcdddbb03a2e

9. danmcg macrumors newbie

Just tried Nitrous on my iPad Air 32gb and I get the same sunspider score with it off or on. No difference. 1373