New two-model lineup for iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mangomind, May 4, 2014.

1. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Apple is undeniably starting to develop the sales strategy of selling both a high-end product and a budget product. This caters to both the high-end market and the business/budget market. Tim Cook has said Apple is wanting to enter multiple new markets, and this statement is backed up with companies acquisitions in fashion, watchmaking, medical, etc. Expanding Apple's product line is more possible especially now that Steve Jobs is not influencing the company by simplifying and reducing product lines.

Apple is morphing its product lineup to include a budget product alongside a high-end product for all devices except the iPod touch:

2011 (Steve Jobs):
    iMac
    Macbook Air
    Macbook Pro
    Mac mini, Mac Pro
    iPad 2
    iPhone 3GS, 4s
    iPod touch

Current lineup:
    iMac (high-end)
    Macbook Air, retina Macbook Pro
    Mac mini, Mac Pro
    iPad 4, iPad Air
    iPad mini, retina iPad mini
    iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
    iPod touch (budget)

2014 lineup:
    Budget iWatch, high-end iWatch
    Budget iMac, high-end iMac
    Macbook Air, retina Macbook Air
    Mac mini, Mac Pro
    iPad Air, iPad Air 2
    retina iPad mini, retina iPad mini 2
    iPhone 6c, iPhone 6
    Budget iPod touch, high-end iPod touch

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't see them doing that, the iPod is a dying business. They will keep it going as long as it makes a profit, but they aren't going to put a lot of effort into it as they would rather sell iPhones, and there is no real competition in the stand alone mp3 player market.

3. mangomind thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangomind

You are correct, they aren't going to put a lot of effort into making the iPod touch. The high-end iPod touch can be an easy device to produce. It can be an iPhone 6 with cellular capabilities removed.

The iPod touch isn't just for the stand alone mp3 player market. It is also for people who do not need a data plan and use a feature phone. And for people with an iPhone who want a different device to use at home or for a range of other dedicated uses.

4. Infinus.gold macrumors regular

Infinus.gold

Apple should make Steve Jobs signed iPod Classic for Steve Jobs remembrance.

5. mangomind thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Apple should make a 100ft Steve Jobs statue in the middle of the Apple Spaceship Campus.

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

2013: iPod touch, BUDGET iPod Touch

....there are already such versions, and this year there will probably be the same division, if there is an update.

You have CAMERA iPod Touch and NO-CAM iPod Touch. Been there, done that.

7. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Yeeeaaah... I don't think so.

The iPod touch pretty much is the budget device. That way you don't have cellular capabilities or have to pay the two year plan that comes with it. And to add to that, as the above poster said, there is a camera and no-camera model...

8. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Getting Steve Jobs to sign it might be a... challenge.

9. giraffeboy27 macrumors member

The iPod touch is just a poor man's iPhone. It's already budget aswell. And if a person was dumb enough to want a "high end iPod touch" why don't they just have an iPhone?

If the iPod touch sold in the numbers that the iPad does, it might happen. Highley doubt that ever will.

10. mangomind thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Just like a wifi-only iPad is cheaper than a cellular iPad, there is a market for an iPhone with the cellular chip removed. The markets are: people who have an iPhone and want another device to use as additional storage, additional battery life, use at home, or use for a different purpose. Another market is people who want to have cell coverage with Verizon or AT&T and don't use wireless data very much, and instead mostly use wifi. These people wouldn't want to pay the monthly subsidy and data fees that these carriers require for both subsidized and unlocked smartphones. This market would be best served with a Verizon or AT&T feature phone and an unlocked or wifi-only device.

11. giraffeboy27 macrumors member

"people who have an iPhone and want another device to use as additional storage" - Answer = Buy a bigger capacity iPhone

additional battery life - Answer = Battery Case

use at home, or use for a different purpose. - Answer = iPad is more suitable

Another market is people who want to have cell coverage with Verizon or AT&T and don't use wireless data very much, and instead mostly use wifi. These people wouldn't want to pay the monthly subsidy and data fees that these carriers require for both subsidized and unlocked smartphones. This market would be best served with a Verizon or AT&T feature phone and an unlocked or wifi-only device. - Maybe, but I don't see this as a big market.

Maybe it's because I'm in the UK, but iPhones are everywhere nowadays. No one needs an iPod Touch, when you can get an iPhone 4S for £21 (35 dollars) a month and no handset fee.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

i bought ipod touch 4 years ago. I bought and sold like 3 of them because it was so intriguing, just need to come back to it.

imo, the reason ipod touch is not interesting no more is because the built quality and the starting price. I prefer the old metal back, scratch prone but very sturdy. Also, ios game has been goin downhill for quite sometimes since developer change their pricing policy. Before, you can buy PVZ and enjoy hours after hours of gameplay without iaps. Now u get freebies where you will be forced to buy extras to progress. Im cool with upfront price but not what they force out of your pocket once u downloaded the apps, also even paid apps are filled with ads after updates or once its gone free.

At the price of ipod touch now, i dont see why u would want it if you already own a smart phone. There are perfect handheld with better better game quality like psv and 3ds. Get the console and couples of great game with less than what you pay for the Touch alone (excluded screen protector, cases which cost you even more)

13. exizeo macrumors regular

Where are you getting consoles + great games for less than you pay for the touch alone?

Just assume last generation consoles.

$300 for an xbox, $30 for Halo 4, $30 for Forza 4, BF3, etc...

Current gen -

$500 for a X1+TF bundle, and then $60 for games on release. Also DLC sucks. Unless it's made by Rockstar.

14. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

oh, i was referring to handheld gaming. U dont even need to compare home consoles to ipod touch games.
    3ds= 150+ 29 (mario 3d land) + 29(animal crossing) + 29 (donkey kong 3d) + 39 (Zelda) = 276 usd , not even the starting price of touch 32gb at 299usd

and believe me, those games could last you months without ads or forced iap. I wouldn't go into ios games like angry bird or flappy bird which cost you 0.99 to free but iap up to 99 bucks.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Unless you have a preference for ios you can get android tablets like the nexus 7 2013 for less than an ipod touch. I like the touch but the price is hard to justify. Even within the ios line up, price wise the iPad mini and the ipad with retina display (4th gen) are better buys.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Believe it or not, not everyone wants or wishes to be the proud owner of an iPhone and there are some of us who choose to have an iTouch instead.

In any case, I'm one of those who has an iTouch (along with two iPod classics), and would happily fork out for a bigger and better iTouch. Granted, I use the classics solely for music, and indeed, the iTouch, also mainly for music and, for that reason, would welcome greater capacity in the iTouch. Actually, I must say that I rather like the device, and I do regret that neither the iPod line generally, nor the iTouch have been upgraded in recent years.

17. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I think Ipod touch is the perfect size for gaming and with all due respect, i dont trust gaming on Android. But like u said, the price is hard to swallow.. with the material they used, it felt like cheap toy. This is why i think there will be no ipod touch upgrades. Tim Cook would have cancel the product line instead of trying to profit less by lowering the price. Maybe they might just go full stream into handheld gaming with new devices, who knows???

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think the build quality is actually good. I'm not fussed about build quality but the touch has better build quality than most android devices. I agree the touch is a great product. It's the only iPod that makes sense in today's world. I think the price is what spoils it. If it were cheaper it might sell more. However I think even at a lower price point it's still redundant, outside a small niche I.e kids and people who have dumb phones/don't want a contract.

As for gaming I think it depends on what type of game you are playing. I prefer to use a bigger screen like my iPad mini for a lot of games. Android isn't bad for gaming, it just depends on what kind of games you want to play. Some games aren't available on android/come out first on iOS. Most of the games I like to play are available on android, however there are some retro games that I can only play on iOS.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the touch this year.

19. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I just prefer the same materials they used for the Touch 4, thats all. I dont mind extra weight and als.

I dont game on tablet or smartphone as much anymore. I thought i needed a better phone eg. Iphone 5c/ 5s so that i would have better gaming exp but ios games these days are too greedy. U used to be able to spend 2.99 or 6.99 for good games but now they are all freemium. PVZ 1 was my favorite and has great replay value, now look at what they did to PVZ 2. Hopeless, i would rather spend 39 usd for a real game.

20. MyiBill macrumors 6502