New Type of CD announced

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
parrothead said:
CD audio on one side and DVD video on the other side.
Could you have both sides - CD/DVD - have data? Or does it have to be music/CD and video/DVD only? Interesting nonetheless.

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I've already had one of those from The Calling, dated 2002. It has music videos on one side and CD audio on the other. It wasn't labeled anything special, though.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A cool idea. As the article mentions the DualDisc could help to boost sales. My concern would be about having data on both sides. Could it lead to easier damage?

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It'd be cooler if they both existed on the same side. Dual media discs means no labels, or at least those small hub labels. Me not like them.

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I can't see this catching on...I'd not really want to buy any. And isn't DVD and CD tech a little outdated? I'm hoping we see the next gen Blue Ray stuff soon.

D

Comment

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
wdlove said:
A cool idea. As the article mentions the DualDisc could help to boost sales. My concern would be about having data on both sides. Could it lead to easier damage?
Actually, the data is stored closer to the labeled side of regular disks, so this would protect it further, though that says nothing for scratches.

Comment

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
hmm...sounds interesting. i have a couple dvds that have 2 sides and one's widescreen/one full. kind of confuse me though, not knowing which side goes up vs down. can both sides be cds?

Comment
These have been out for a while. The nice thing is that you can have not only DVD but full DVD-audio surround content on one side with a standard cd on the other. Its nice to have one disc to play in the car (or to put on the iPod) and then the other side for your high resolution 5.1 system. I hope more artists put these out. The hub labels are really easy to read i think. I recently repurchased nine inch nails' "The Downward Spiral" in this format and it was actually cheaper than the cd only copy at the store. And it was quite a bit cheaper than the SACD version and the sound quality is almost the same.

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Don't they have these?

DVD-Audio Discs
DVD Discs, side 1 = movie, side 2 = special features

This would be cool, so long they don't put copy protection or region coding on them so they go on your ipod

Comment

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
You think the RIAA is gonna let us RIP them? You better not think that. They'll want us to buy it as a DualDisc, CD, iTunes, etc. Just so they can line their pockets even more, while ripping off all the artists.

Comment

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
those things are everywhere. though, I dont think they caught on in the states as much as everywhere else.

I have an AC/DC Back in Black DVD Remaster on my computer, that was originally on a DualDisc.

Comment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mr. Anderson said:
I can't see this catching on...I'd not really want to buy any. And isn't DVD and CD tech a little outdated? I'm hoping we see the next gen Blue Ray stuff soon.

D
It may be a niche market, but i would love to see it. Take the movie like Moulin Rouge. I would love to have the movie and the CD soundtrack.

Comment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Reanimation_LP said:
You think the RIAA is gonna let us RIP them? You better not think that. They'll want us to buy it as a DualDisc, CD, iTunes, etc. Just so they can line their pockets even more, while ripping off all the artists.
So true. The RIAA is so behind the times of where technology and the consumer desires are, it is so pathetic.

Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It sounds like some people are missing the point of these things, at least as I understand it.

I'm pretty sure that it's basically a way to be able to sell hi-definition DVD-audio discs to audiophiles and generate more interest in the so far totally unsuccessful push for next-gen audio while still letting the "holdouts" (meaning almost everybody in the world) play the discs on their regular CD audio players.

That is, it's not one side of CD and one side of DVD, per se, but a disc that has traditional CD audio on one side, and DVD-audio on the other, for audio nuts that want the superior quality. Only takes up one shelf spot, the added production cost probably isn't significant, and they're hoping that it'll get people saying "Gee, I already have all these DualDiscs, why not just buy a DVDAudio player and have my music suddenly sound much better?"

Doubt it'll do much good, though, as the conusmer market seems to be saying that people just don't care about quality that much--they'd rather get an old fashioned CD that they can still rip, ironically.

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
from article:
The hybrid discs feature a standard recording on Side A, and content such as music videos, concert footage, interviews, and photo galleries on the flip side. Most of the DualDiscs also feature a 5.1 surround-sound mix of the album for the growing number of consumers who have high-end speaker systems hooked up to their DVD players
So while it's not geared to having a soundtrack on the flip side of a DVD movie, it IS geared at having video content on the flip side of audio. Basically, it sounds like audio CDs with a data partition for videos, only now it's true DVD format (and on the other side) so you can access special CD content from your DVD player, perhaps including a 5:1 version of the music.

Comment

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I don't know how I feel about this. I like to keep my CDs in one place, and my DVDs is another. If we start mixing things up, I'm going get confused and then frustrated and start breaking everything.

I really don't see the point of having DVD video and music on one disc. It'd be nice to have music videos or a "making of the CD" but I'd much rather have one DVD with all that stuff on it.

Just my opinion.

Fishes,
narco.

Comment