New UI may be exclusive to iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by syphern, Jun 8, 2017.

1. syphern macrumors 6502

just a thought. What if Apple plans a new ui for iPhone 8 exclusively. Ie new icons, sounds etc? It’s been way too long since iOS 7 for a new ui.

2. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Dark mode might be introduced exclusively for the iPhone 8, which supposedly has an AMOLED display to take advantage of, but no, I don't expect any new icons or sounds since that would cause issues in regards to code maintainability and user experience, add on to the fact that Apple has never done device-specific UI changes before that I can remember.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Way too long?

LOL

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It took 7 years for the first overhaul... It has not been way too long.

5. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

then it'll be exclusive to iphone 8.

6. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

I think they could add dark mode, but that's it. No point in a whole new interface right now.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I have a feeling dark mode will be exclusive to iPhone 8. Why else would they not reveal it in the beta for people to test.

8. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

It seems the new interface is now maturing nicely, it would make no sense to change everything again. My bet is its not going to happen. My bet is well get dark mode with OLED displays, so if the next iPhone gets an OLED display chances are good well see a dark mode.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

When has Apple ever done something like that?

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Would love to see it but not likely to happen.

Even if it did, then all the third party apps would still look like any other iPhones which would defeat the purpose.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You are daydreaming, OP.

More than likely, there will be a few OS features exclusive to the new Phone(s) and thats all.

13. Squillace, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

Squillace macrumors member

Squillace

This.

People definitely need to stop thinking that 2017 is going to be the year of a design revolution. The fact that some people (which they can be in a high or low amount, I don't know) want a design change doesn't mean it's going to happen. Look at iOS past and you'll understand that it's not happening. It took Apple 6 major versions of the system to take a completely new approach in terms of design. Now, flat design will achieve his 5th 'generation' with iOS 11.

Maybe next year. Maybe 2019. It will make sense, eventually. But now? It would just be surprising.

Plus, Apple has never differentiate devices in terms of design. They did it with some features, for marketing reasons or because some devices were too slow to support it. But regarding to the whole UI interface, not a single device had exclusive designs...