Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loi84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2022
Brand new and showed that message upon unboxing. It did have some charge on it though - it didn’t show as empty when i put it on the puck, but around 30%

Still strange, no?

Would you still replace? Prior devices always had 60% plus and turned on. Don’t wanna risk a mediocre battery down the road.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Batteries lose charge over time. It’s routine for battery powered electronics to have various states of power when activated by the consumer.

You can just charge it.

Reactions: Mackilroy

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I believe the Apple Watch requires the battery to be charged to 50% or higher in order to run updates/pair to a new phone etc. That is likely why you saw this if it was a newly unboxed Watch that you were trying to set up.

Once the watch is set up it should work fine all the way down to 0% battery. I believe it gives warnings at 20% and 10%, but it will keep working once you dismiss the warning.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Brand new and showed that message upon unboxing. It did have some charge on it though - it didn’t show as empty when i put it on the puck, but around 30%

Still strange, no?

Would you still replace? Prior devices always had 60% plus and turned on. Don’t wanna risk a mediocre battery down the road.
Not strange, it's very common. Nothing wrong with your watch

Reactions: Loi84

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
Charge it to full and see if you have battery issues over the next few days... you should have 14 days to return without any questions asked.

Loi84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2022
Charge it to full and see if you have battery issues over the next few days... you should have 14 days to return without any questions asked.
I did. Went from 100 to 86% in 24 hours. Marginal usage though. But in line with expectations as far as I am aware. So should be all fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.