Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am trying to decide whether or not to go for the new uMBP 15 with the 3.06 or just get the Refurb 15 with the 2.93

I get the student discount, I am just not sure there were that many improvements on the new 15 to warrant the extra Ca$h.

New uMBP 15
Faster CPU, Better Battery, Screen ? more expensive

Early 2009 uMBP 15
2.93 CPU, Battery Fine, Screen works for me, price really good

Has anyone owned both to compare, or is the new uMBP 15 really worth all the hype and extra $500.00 bucks

Thank all for your input

stranger danger

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I am trying to decide whether or not to go for the new uMBP 15 with the 3.06 or just get the Refurb 15 with the 2.93

I get the student discount, I am just not sure there were that many improvements on the new 15 to warrant the extra Ca$h.

New uMBP 15
Faster CPU, Better Battery, Screen ? more expensive

Early 2009 uMBP 15
2.93 CPU, Battery Fine, Screen works for me, price really good

Has anyone owned both to compare, or is the new uMBP 15 really worth all the hype and extra $500.00 bucks

Thank all for your input

Let me ask you this:

Is it worth spending an extra $500 for an extra 0.13 GHz, two more hours of battery life, and the loss of an ExpressCard/34 slot? :)

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I do not use the Express Card Slot, or would I use the SD card slot.

I just started using FW800 which they both have, I am not critical on the CPU Performance, but is the new screen and battery living up to the Apple expectations, so does it really last 7 hours and is the screen that much better, if they are hardly noticable, then i would go to the Refurb, however if the screen and battery life was that much better, well then that is another story.

I also do not like the new uMBP 15 matte screen, yuck

stranger danger

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
I do not use the Express Card Slot, or would I use the SD card slot.

I just started using FW800 which they both have, I am not critical on the CPU Performance, but is the new screen and battery living up to the Apple expectations, so does it really last 7 hours and is the screen that much better, if they are hardly noticable, then i would go to the Refurb, however if the screen and battery life was that much better, well then that is another story.

I also do not like the new uMBP 15 matte screen, yuck

I believe only the 13" uMBP got a screen upgrade to match the 15s and 17s. Also, you can get about six to seven hours with good power saving. Again, is this worth $500 to you?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My advice would be to get the refurb (and add Applecare to the mix) and sell it on if something stunning that you cannot resist is unveiled in the next two years. Seriously, refurb is an excellent way to go; you have all of the advantages of the new model - plus a machine that has been individually tested - as well as Apple's warranty. I'm not sure that the difference between the two models you have mentioned warrants spending $500 extra. However, it's your call.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.