New uMPB on the way.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyjslin, Nov 12, 2009.

1. andyjslin macrumors member

G'day all.

I've trolled these forums on my PC for the past 2 years. I decided to take the massive plunge of using my PhD scholarship into buying a uMBP 17 inch lappy. Why did I take the plunge after 25 years of Dos and Windows? Many reasons; OSX (it looks supurb and slick), Ability to run various OSes (due to PC hardware - let's hope I stick with OSX) and the damn laptop is sexy (pardon my excitment).

Unfortunately, being Australian; my new toy costs an arm and a leg ($3500 Aus) (BTO: anti-glare, 7200 RPM HD, Applecare) but i managed to get a copy of Office 2008, VGA connector and sleeve for free (I'm a grad student...I live below the poverty line).

I was wondering could I get some forums (other than this one) that introduces/eases me into Macs (I'm afraid I will not assimilate with OSX), has funky applications and widgets and general guides.

Thanks all!

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Guides are great, but the way to learn a new os is to play with it.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Congrats on the new purchase, I just got a uMBP 17" in September and I love it.

As for help, MacRumors is a great place. Keep the question on topic and don't title your thread with "OS X and Apple SUCK because [insert reason here]" and many people will answer any questions you have. Also just searching google when you have questions about things like installing applications, doing updates, etc works great.