new unibody buzzing noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i1alian085, Feb 1, 2009.

1. i1alian085 macrumors member

I have had my new pro since christmas, and it has been incredible.

however i noticed from day one that periodically i get this buzzing noise coming from the left speaker - closest to the screen.

is it the hard drive? what is it... and is it normal?

sometimes if i tap the speaker area (next to the magsafe) it goes away.. and other times its pretty loud.

i do NOT have applecare.

should I purchase that as well.

i guess this is a two parter.

the noise - and applecare.

2. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have had my new unibody for three weeks and I have not noticed any sound coming sounds. I would think it is not normal and you may want to get it checked out. As for Apple Care, I have personally never had it but I am thinking of getting it for my MBP... just in case.

3. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

is it where the hard drive is?..... top left... under the speaker area.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Harddrive is in the bottom right hand corner.

5. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Probably not, I think the two fans are somewhere under the keyboard, not near the speaker but I could be mistaken.

I'm going to assume it's static from the speakers or something wrong with the magsafe adapter.

You do have standard 1 year Apple Care, so go and get that checked out.

7. Animalk macrumors 6502

If I am not mistaken, this area is also where the power comes in and where the chips sit. Core Duo and Core 2 Duo chips are known to buzz at idle but you need to be in a very quiet environment to be able to notice it.

If the noise is significant, I would bring this issue to Apple's attention.

8. wahgnube macrumors member

wahgnube

I have heard different sorts of buzzing noises on older MBPs, but my current unibody one is quiet.

9. kolax macrumors G3

If you tap the speaker and it goes away, then that alone should ring a bell in your head that maybe something isn't right - possibly dodgy speaker or what not, and that you should get it checked out ;)

You have 1-year Apple Care.

Chips sit in the middlish left area, not under the left speaker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

it sounds like a mini projector is running old film.... thats exactly what it sounds like... i have to put my ear down to the speaker (top of the speaker) to hear it sometimes - and sometimes its louder.

so i will call tomorrow and bring it in.

11. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Sudden LOUD vibrating sound...

Twice today my uni MPB (purchased about a week after debut) was making noise so loud it was vibrating. My fans have been making noise for weeks now and I'm sure I'll never remember to call Apple but now I might. It's so loud and powerful I don't think its the fans, I quickly pulled the battery/HDD cover to see if the drive was vibrating but no. There was no disc in the superdrive and pushing the eject key had no effect but I'm not even sure if it was the drive. That's the only thing powerful enough that I can think of.

I checked fan speed, normal. I ran smcFan Control to maximum, no effect though I think I could hear the fans over the sound. It stopped about 30 seconds after I closed the lid and it finally went to sleep. Has anyone heard of superdrives freaking out, shaking themselves apart?

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

15" Unibody MacBook Pro

Well, I had a problem with mine where a strange buzzing was emitted from the top of the computer, close to the hinge where the monitor ends. However, the sound only occurs in the first 10 minutes of operation, and after that, it just goes away and the MBP just resumes its quiet operation. Should I be worried about this? I listened to the hard drive, but it doesn't seem to be making any noise. Just that little strip of aluminum that separates the keyboard from the monitor.

13. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

Agh my one month old i7 mbp's started buzzing/humming - it sounds like it's under the middle right area on the keyboard.
    :mad: