New Unibody MacBook observations

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gerbilbox, May 2, 2009.

1. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I have a new MacBook! It's a refurbished 2.0 GHz model (with a printer on the way with rebate) that looks brand new and it's been working great for the past two days. I would have loved a MacBook Pro but I needed the computer now and couldn't wait to save up.

I previously had a first generation mid-2006 MacBook, but my apartment was robbed two months ago. I couldn't spend much more time working intermittently on other people's computers just for homework. I had to wait two months to finish my taxes and get my first paycheck at my new job before I was sure that I had enough money.

I know that there are a lot of the "new MacBook" posts, but I do have a few observations from the past two days that I haven't read much about:

I love that the speakers are so loud; it makes my old MacBook sound like a mouse. With my old MacBook, whenever I wanted to show a video or play a podcast for my friends, they always have to crowd closely around my computer but even then they sometimes ask that I turn up the volume when it is already maxed out! The speakers on the unibody MacBook are quite loud (without with any sacrifice in sound quality), so I'm glad that I won't have that problem again.

This is contrary to everything I've read here about Airport, but my aluminum MacBook has better wireless reception than my old plastic white MacBook. Maybe Apple has done something really right with my new machine or there was something wrong with my old one, but my old computer would sometimes drop connection at my apartment; I found a few blind spots in my living room. So far, my new MacBook and its built-in Faraday cage hasn't disappointed me yet.

USB seems much faster. My Time Machine drive was in a Firewire enclosure, so I was forced to buy a USB one. Even though I lose daisy-chaining, this hasn't been so bad 'cause USB speed isn't lagging as much now.

The screen opens farther back, which is very convenient when I stand up at my desk.

The battery seems to take a lot longer to charge.

I'm a little concerned about how thin the aluminum is around the ethernet port. I've never dropped a laptop before (and I don't plan to), but if an accident were to happen I hope that it doesn't land on that corner near the ethernet.

I'm a little amused (not actually annoyed) at the sensitivity of the ambient light sensor. I had a bright light behind me, so the screen brightness changes even if I tilted my head slightly.

I also have the usual praises (unibody design, multitouch trackpad, etc.) and the usual gripes (no Firewire, excessively glossy display, poor viewing angles and blacks), but you're probably tired of hearing about that.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I know what you mean, though it didn't amuse me, it annoyed me to the extent of turning it off. :rolleyes:

3. flapperdink macrumors member

same here. i turned it off within about 5 minutes of unboxing the machine. it irritated the heck out of me.

4. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I thought that I was the only one who noticed this, it takes several hours to charge the battery. A little frustrating at times!

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats on the new MacBook! My sister has the same machine and loves it.

Is the light sensor in a different location than the Unibody MBP? Because she too complained about it and I've never had an issue with mine. The one on this computer is right next to the iSight.

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yes, same place as the MB.