New Unibody MBPs and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sdahe, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello,

There is so many bad and good things about Snow Leopard but it all comes from different Macs. It would be helpfull to have this thread about Snow Leopard on the new unibody Macbook Pros. How is it working overall...

I haven't upgrade my computer yet but I already got the disc.. just waiting to read more about peoples experience with it.

Go on!!!!

2. AuNate macrumors newbie

I have a 13" UMB that is just a few months old. Did a clean install and haven't had any problems...FWIW.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

My new MBP is going to be 1 month old in 2 days so I guess it won't be a problem if I install Snow L.

Will see!!!!!

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I did an upgrade on my mid 09 15" mbp. Perfect so far :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My late 08 unibody MBP is back on leopard because the apple supplied canon P9000 Pro printer driver doesn't work, nor does the old canon one (that did work on leopard). I'm now back on leopard :/

6. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

My 13" MBP is about 2 weeks old. I upgraded yesterday (not a clean install) and everything is working great. I was worried when reading all these posts but so far I haven't had a single issue.

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I've been hearing so many people complaining about snow leopard that I don't feel so good about installing it

8. cmaier macrumors G3

that's only because people don't bother to start threads "everything went fine."

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Yes, you're totally right

10. sputacus macrumors regular

I have a 17" unibody (early 2009) that I did a simple upgrade to SL - no problems so far, improved performance.

Whenever an update or upgrade is released, there are always problems with some systems. So far I haven't had any issues with any updates/upgrades. I always make a clone of my system prior to any major update/upgrade just in case I need to go back to it. So far, I haven't had any issues with OSX updates causing me to re-clone my system with the previous install.

11. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Now that you say make a clone of your system... how can I do the same?.. do some kind of image of the HD

12. cmaier macrumors G3

Sure. Use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootable backup onto an external drive, for example.

13. sputacus macrumors regular

I use SuperDuper! ($28) for cloning - it works great. There is also a free application out there, I think it's called "Carbon Copy Clone" (or something like that).

Link to SuperDuper's site:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

14. cmaier macrumors G3

15. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i installed SL onto an external hdd usb bus powered and leaving my internal with Leopard. i have been booting into the external to test application compatibility with SL and so far so good. feels quite snappy to me. track pad seems pretty responsive. i have the 09 unibody 15" 2.53ghz.

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The free version of SuperDuper! is fine if all you want to do is straightforward cloning.

17. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, I'm back.... now with Snow Leopard installed and is suuuuuper fast. I really love how the OS works. Very smooth and very fast response. The only thing at this moment is Cyberduck. Not working in SnowL.... any suggestions for another FTP aplication???

Thanks

18. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, everything working very nice... haven't install the Adobe Creative Suite yet!!!..

19. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I upgraded my 2 month old 15" unibody MBP without any problems, except for having some printing issues, but I found a fix for that in this forum.

20. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The latest beta for cyberduck works in SL. You need to go to the website to download it, it wont update itself to the beta.

21. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

seems like most of you did an upgrade install (not clean) and is working fine. what if i had apps that arent supported under SL yet, what will happen to it? will there be a lot of error messages popping up? or it just wouldnt load?

i did a clean install of leopard, but i have magical, istat, couple of screen savers that i heard doesnt work under SL yet. if i did the upgrade install, what will happen to these programs?

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

My late 2008 15" uMBP is a little warmer than in leopard but other than that i'm rocking

23. cmaier macrumors G3

Depends. Some of them are just disabled, some will pop up a message, and a few just won't work right. The worst one I've heard of is the istat menu app which seems to screw up people's menu bar until they uninstall it.

In my case, I have things like growl that aren't ready for SL, and they sorta work for some things, but don't quite work all the way.

24. kasakka macrumors 68000

No problems on my 13" Macbook Pro. I'm simply waiting for updated versions of a few programs (USB Overdrive, Linkinus) and using a few betas (Dropbox, Growl) for SL support but other than that it's business as usual. I did the upgrade from 10.5.7.

Don't see much difference except Stacks work a bit smoother. It's also a lot nicer to use thanks to being able to go into folders without opening a Finder window.

25. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I upgraded from 10.5.8 and no issues whatsoever.