New Universal Dock "Not Made To Work with iPhone 3G"?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshysquashy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I bought a universal dock (with eliptical ir sensor) for my original iPhone. It has the chip inside it to prevent the message asking if you want to go to airplane mode.

When I dock my iPhone 3G into it however, about 50% of the time it asks if I want to go into airplane mode, and about 50% of the time it doesn't!

I'm not sure why it would only ask some of the time?! Seems a bit glitchy, perhaps something a software fix could avoid. Anyone else getting this issue? If so there is no universal dock from apple which is compatible, and that is poor.

Surely it would be better if apple could give the option to "never ask me again", I don't care about interference, but I would never turn off the phone part.

2. higgalls macrumors regular

3. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is just a piece of plastic that makes the universal dock fit the iPhone 3G perfectly. It has no electric parts.

This is my point, they sell the universal dock adapter, and yet their own universal dock isn't fully compatible. I mean it is fully compatible, but the stupid phone thinks it isn't! Surely a bug?!

4. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

It's so weird that a dock can just mess with your phone like that. I just stopped using my old ipod av dock (the one with the s-video out) because it would cause the phone to lag and lock up after pulling it off the unit.

5. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The dock connector is the iPod/iPhone Achilles heel:

everyone loves it because a wealth of different accessories can work with all iPod/iPhone devices, but over the years they have changed how their devices work. They have a "works with" program that is meant to simplify things, but now works with iPhone doesn't mean iPhone 3G, and works with is vague - how well does it work with?

If they changed the dock with every product, it would be worse, but it would avoid confusion. Its weird that you can plug something in, but it may not do anything, I guess its a bit like devices on the mac! But that's another story!

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I wish they would stop changing things, and try to keep it simple. The video out chip was stupid, interference I can understand, but why the nag screen? And why no firewire charging? To save a few pennies?!

6. fozzieb macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, most of the time it is ok about 40% of the time it fails.

loos like i will need to flog it on ebay.

7. insane79 macrumors 6502

hi,
    i just bought the ipod universal dock for my iphone, i get the same msg that" the accessory is not supported do u want to switch to airplane mode" i was like WTF i bought the offical apple universal dock :confused:
    Is it ok to use it with airplane mode off as i dont want to miss my calls and why in god's name its sayin device not supported WTF Apple..
    i m confused,
    thanks...

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i do believe that the airplane mode warning is just telling you that you WILL get interference from the iphone when you get data and are playing audio/video through that dock. Same with fm transmitters.. The ones made specifically for iphones are insulated against this intereference which causes static and feedback.

Power docks and chargers are different when it comes between 3G and 2G because the 3G is 5volts, 1amp and the 2G is 12volts 2amps which causes a big issue when charging for the 3G. i can fry it if they pins are connected.

9. insane79 macrumors 6502

so basically if i use the dock that came with my iphone will i get the same pop up msgs saying" accessory not supported switch to airplane mode to avoid interference" ?? i havent tried connecting the dock which came with the iphone to my stereo system, dont know if it will give the same problem:confused:

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The reason it displays the Airplane mode message, is purely due to the Universal Dock being designed for iPods, as they have no external speaker, and thus there are no holes at the bottom of the Dock to accomodate the sound for the iPhone's speaker and mic.
    I've been using my old Uni Dock for 3 weeks now, since iv'e had my 3G. Syncing, charging and everything else works as intended.

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Huh? I use two universal docks for the iPhone 3G and I never saw any 'airplane mode' message. It just sits there, syncing and/or recharging. One is the old dock with the round IR sensor window, the other with the elliptical one. I didn't buy the iPhone 3G adapters, I just used one of the myriad of iPod adapters that happened to fit pretty well (not exactly sculpted but it provides support and takes load off the connector).

12. insane79 macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply guys, i read online that there are other docks which allow the iphone to work without causing any disturbance nor u have to choose airplane modes, these docks are available with some gsm clutter chips, bose,jbl etc have then now, one thing i dont understand is that the shielding to avoid gsm disturbance is place in the speakers or dock??

13. alFR macrumors 68020

They both charge at the standard USB voltage/amperage of 4.75-5.25V. The only difference between them re: charging is that the v1 iPhone can use either the USB or Firewire pinouts on the dock connector for charging whereas the iPhone 3G can only use the USB pinouts.

14. SAIRUS macrumors 6502

The name "Almost Universal Dock" doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

15. CocheseUGA macrumors member

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same message with my v1. Very annoying.

16. insane79 macrumors 6502

well guys, i tried connecting the orignal iphone dock that comes with the iphone(2g) & guess wat i got the same msg hehee... i guess its just the iphone warning u for a possibilty of interferance, its has nothing to do with the DOCKS..

cheers...