New, unwanted holidays showing up in Cal

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by WannaApple?, Feb 22, 2018.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Has this happened to anyone else?

As of just yesterday, I have all of these new islamic, jewish, muslim and other holidays showing up in my calendar under the US Holidays. Things like Eid-Al-Fitr, Ramadan, Holi, etc. I haven't changed anything and I've looked in my files, extensions, settings, etc. to make sure that nothing has gotten installed without my permission.

Is anyone else seeing these currently? Any idea on how to get rid of them if possible? I don't want or need these other nationality holidays on my US calendar. Thanks;

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

open the app, click on calendars upper left, and remove the ones you don't want.

3. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

This isn't the problem, I know how to remove calendars. There are none in my left panel that I don't want. These new holidays are showing up when I select US Holidays. This US Holidays calendar has always been selected and it's only since about yesterday that these new holidays have been added.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

5. fisherking, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

funny, i just noticed this too; and am also only subscribed to the US holidays. so... something's up with apple. i removed the US holidays, re-added it, and the other calendars are there as well.

EDIT: ok, remove the holiday calendar, then go to File>new calendar subscription. add the apple url:
    webcal://ical.mac.com/ical/US32Holidays.ics

then you can name it, and choose to save it on your mac or icloud. gets rid of the 'other' calendars.

6. neliason macrumors 6502

I had originally read Apple had gotten rid of Good Friday and Easter holidays. While that wouldn't surprise me it turns out not to be true on my calendar. But I do have all these extra days that I've never heard of. It would be better if Apple created a few different calendars like US Government Holidays, and then different calendars for different religions. I am going to drop this calendar as it is now since it has way too many dates I simply don't care about.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... looks like Apple is monkeying around with the US Holiday calendar on their end. The other day there was a thread that Easter had disappeared, now they have added it back with a bunch of other holidays. I now see a bunch of Jewish and Muslim holidays listed also.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

if u try what i suggested above, it fixed this (for me, anyway)...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That works... thanks. Who is hosting that? It does not look like an official Apple calendar.

10. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

The site ical.mac.com used to be a calendar aggregation site. I didn't think it was still out there.

Apple has their un-deletable US Holidays calendar on macOS and iOS now.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2018 ---
    The title of the calendar is "US Holidays". So why shouldn't it have Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc holidays in it, as well as secular holidays?

11. neliason, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

neliason macrumors 6502

If I and most people from the US have never heard of the holiday then it isn’t what I’d consider a US holiday. There are plenty of holidays I have heard of that aren’t on the list. What are the criteria of US holidays?

12. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

These are the official US holidays.
    [​IMG]

13. fisherking, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  14. SoCalReviews, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I agree that it should list traditional American holidays only or federal holidays if we select "American". Most users want to know traditionally recognized holidays for vacation time, bank closings, holiday reminders for planning, gifts, etc.. They could have personal selection options for non-traditional American holidays if they want... or international options or an "all holidays option" but these recent default calendar changes by Apple are confusing for most users in the U.S.. Otherwise it kind of defeats the point of having default American holidays listed on the calendar at all.

15. Ledsteplin, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

If I'm not mistaken, these are the holidays added by Apple to the iCloud Calendar.
    Lunar new year
    Groundhog Day
    St. Patrick's Day
    Palm Sunday
    Good Friday
    Easter
    Passover
    Orthodox Easter
    Holi
    Cinco de Mayo
    Juneteenth
    First day of Ramadan
    Eid al-Fitr
    Eid al-Adha
    Rosh Hashanah
    Yom Kippur
    Ashura
    Indigenous People's Day
    Columbus Day
    Diwali
    Hanukkah
    Kwanzaa

16. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

You don't have to receive notifications or alerts for them. I simply went through and checked alerts for those I want.

17. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

Yeah, but the link Calendar leaves off too much I want. It doesn't bother me all those unwanted are there. I don't look there much anyway. I set up an event maybe twice a month. So I just set alerts for those holidays I care about and leave all those others to sit there. Not a big deal.

18. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Yes, it's happening to me also.

19. SoCalReviews, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

They should have made these changes on April 1st so we could all question if these calendar changes were done for real or as part of the holiday festivities. At least they added my favorite obscure U.S. holiday "Groundhog Day". What would any holiday calendar list be without it? :confused:

20. Kekinash macrumors member

21. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

And I missed one. Juneteenth. Added it to the list above.

22. pattiann1970 macrumors newbie

pattiann1970

Oh you are a genius!!! It worked. I will share this if you don't mind.

23. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

ha of course! great to learn things on the forums, or share what we learn...

24. airbusking, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

airbusking macrumors member

airbusking

This move by Apple is what is wrong, why not be able to select what holidays you want to post in your calendar instead of this forced data set. Ugh, anyone get the feeling APPLE is becoming the Borg?
    This one also worked, its free. Download and you're good to go.

https://www.calendarlabs.com/ical-calendar/holidays/us-holidays-76/