Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chapindad

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I jail broke my ATV2, but now that Airplay is here, I would like to to just apply the new update, but it fails during the update. Will I just be able to do a restore through iTunes?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeh same thing happened here, no probs using iTunes.

dsmproject

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
I had this same issue. I was able to connect the Apple TV to iTunes with the micro USB cable, and clicked "Restore".

This downloaded the new update and applied it.

I had first tried to change the password back to default "alpine" as I thought that was the reason it would not activate by itself. So you may still have to change the password IDK.

trustory

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
My Apple TV is currently not jailbroken, I'm waiting on a Micro USB cable. Can I update my Apple TV and then jailbreak after?

chapindad

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
No. The Jailbreak is based on the 4.1 code. It actually hackes the 4.1 code and then installs it on your ATV2.

axisofphilippe

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
I have plex running on my jailbroken atv2 and would also like to update to use airplay. if i do this will i lose plex and need to reinstall? would it then still be jailbroken?

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I have plex running on my jailbroken atv2 and would also like to update to use airplay. if i do this will i lose plex and need to reinstall? would it then still be jailbroken?

I am in the same boat, I think you will have to do a factory reset, upgrade to 4.2, Jailbreak again, the reinstall Plex - bit of a pain, and this assumes that Plex hack will run on 4.2.

I am keen to hear what the streaming quality is like over airplay, the pq over Plex is very good but this does not carry 5.1 sound

axisofphilippe

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
I am in the same boat, I think you will have to do a factory reset, upgrade to 4.2, Jailbreak again, the reinstall Plex - bit of a pain, and this assumes that Plex hack will run on 4.2.

I am keen to hear what the streaming quality is like over airplay, the pq over Plex is very good but this does not carry 5.1 sound

Has 4.2 been jail broken yet?

I was streaming YouTube off airplay yesterday (before the jailbreak) and it looked great.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Has 4.2 been jail broken yet?

I was streaming YouTube off airplay yesterday (before the jailbreak) and it looked great.

Not sure, for me I would rather keep a Jailbroken ATV2 which runs Plex fine than kill it for Airplay which will not run most 3rd party apps. The easiest answer BTW is to download plugins from Plex which then show up as plugins on the ATV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.