new update broke my iP4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vansouza, Aug 11, 2010.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Tried to update my iPhone 4 on three different Macs and it fails during the install verify... now it is useless until Applecare is back at work in the morning. Anyone else?? :mad:

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

No, you probably just got unlucky. Try a restore on the phone, rather than an update. Put the phone into DFU mode beforehand.

3. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

How do I put in DFU mode... lol...

4. Dany M macrumors 6502

5. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

9 was the only number

6. bsbuggs macrumors regular

7. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Restore from backup. I just got this code and I had to restore from backup and now mine is currently syncing.

8. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Thank you all. I did the first update on my iMac then the second on my MB and the third on my other iMac and same result.
    Then I deleted the update file from the Library etc folder and redid the install on my AL iMac... that did the trick... thank you again to you for your quick replies... you are absolutely the best...

iP4 is now working...:eek:

9. bsbuggs macrumors regular

Ok I did the "hold the power button and home button" and it then started the restore process, whew was worried there for the last hour.
    THANK GOD there is a website like this where we can come and learn about out phones and GET real time help.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

4.0.1 and now 4.0.2 caused people problems. 4.0.1 bricked my phone and the Apple Store replaced it. Did this happen in the past with updates? I never had a problem before 4.0.1 and now I'm worried to try this new one

11. bsbuggs macrumors regular

tony
    I would STAY away until the dust settles some. Maybe do it in tomorrow after some reports come in.
    I have been messing with mine for over an hour.

12. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

FRUSTRATING indeed!

Updated my own iP4 32GB without issue earlier today. Get home to do the wife's 16GB iP4, and Error 9. Wish I'd checked this forum earlier.

Tried the recommended "RecBoot Exit Only" link shared by Dany M (a big THANK YOU, BTW).

Worked like a CHARM. The 16GB iP4 is syncing everything back up now, and in iTunes it's showing 4.0.2.

Apple needs to get on the stick. I posted in the Apple Discussion forums too, hope they read it & figure things out. Without RecBoot, am not sure if there's a way to get out of Recovery Mode.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Good call. I'll wait a week. It doesn't sound like a very important update anyway