New/Updated Accessories for 2014 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonathanbruce, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jonathanbruce macrumors member

Hello.

With most new products now shipping with usb3.0 and 3.1 not too far away should Apple start to consider that the main accessories like the Superdrive and their own keyboard to come with usb 3 ? or perhaps even Thunderbolt, especially for faster transfer speeds between it's own devices, such as faster syncing between iPhone 5 upwards and all new/late 2013 range of computers.

would like to hear from everyone on here about this, what are you views?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

SuperDrive is unnecessary - the drive itself is far slower than USB2 so there is no benefit.

Keyboard you could benefit in some cases - self-powered devices. But since the keyboard is a passive hub, you shouldn't be using anything like a thumb drive or bus-powered disk plugged into it, shouldn't be charging or syncing your iPhone or iPad (which are USB 2 anyway). About the only thing appropriate to use is the mouse, which would be fine with USB 1.1

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

New/Updated Accessories for 2014 ?

I'm waiting on A Bluetooth 4.0 Magic Mouse and keyboard.

Battery life should go through the roof.

4. jonathanbruce, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I completely understand your point. But when you get used to using USB 3 one tends to find going back to USB 2 painfully slow. With most new iPhones, iPads and iPods being large in capacity syncing with USB2 can take a while, especially if you are like me and have everything on my iPad, iPhone and iPod.

My problem is that most companies such as Adobe which I use on a daily basis comes with installation dvds (I use CS5.5 Premium) and when you want to move the whole program to a new dvd-less system it's a little awkward to do!
    How do you copy the compete dvd to usb? Any suggestions, I really don't want to waste money on a Superdrive I might only use for installing software such as Adobe and Sibelius.

I also found on my old 2012 macbookpro that the usb3 ports where too close together and couldn't always use two thumbdrives, some thumbdrive casings are wider than others.

5. animatedude macrumors 65816

Apple Remote that uses Bluetooth instead of IR

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

the type of nand used in the i-devices are far slower than current USB 2.0 capacity. even if Apple came out with i-devices that can utilize 3.0, if its still using current nand tech, you will see zero speed increase.

7. Icaras, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I think the only real legitimate peripheral that needs updating as soon as possible is the Thunderbolt Display. Give it the new iMac thin form factor, Thunderbolt 2, and USB 3.0. And while they're at it, make a 21.5" model as well! And perhaps update it to 4K for the new Mac Pro.

Also, I think the Airport Express being updated to support 802.11ac is a given in 2014.

And Blaine's suggestion for Bluetooth 4.0 mouse and keyboard would be great too. The designs for the current Magic Mouse and keyboard have also run a pretty long course so perhaps they're due for a redesign soon. I'd also like to add that it would be a nice touch :)D) to add Touch ID to the new mouse and keyboard.

8. iBug2 macrumors 68040

They should update TB Display. Keyboard and Mouse won't benefit from USB 3.0. Neither will the iPhone/iPad.

9. animatedude macrumors 65816

Oh you are right! how come Apple never updated them with Bluetooth 4? maybe with the next iMac refresh.