Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tovenaar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I went to the Apple Store today and played around with the iPhone 7. It's clearly a cool phone but here's the thing: I have a 6 now, money isn't a concern for me, and yet I'm not motivated to upgrade. In two years Apple hasn't created a compelling reason for me at least. I downloaded iOS 10 and it is fast, unlike previous iOS releases on older phones.

So my theory is that phones have hit the upgrade cycle of personal computers. It's plenty fast enough for most people out there. New features added every year are cool but not essential. And very soon most people will replace their phone once every four or five years (like they do with their laptops). There will always be power users and gamers who demand the very best, but for most of us once every 4-5 years is starting to sound about right.

What do you all think?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I think it'll just be a 3 year cycle. I'm looking forward to next year

The batteries in these phones start to go around two years in my experience. That is just one of the reasons like to upgrade every two years.
My old 4s is still going strong. I sold it when my 5 became my spare it was two years old with over 1000 cycles on it battery tech isn't a definite thing.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
For me it's the only item that I do want to upgrade every year. I use and rely on my phone more than any other device I own.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
4-5 years seems too long, maybe 3-4. Back in the day when phones were free every two years or nearly free it was more acceptable to upgrade for the masses. Now that installment plans are the new things people are becoming less likely to upgrade. Take for instance my mom, she has a iPhone 6 and will be done paying it off in January. She is excited to finally be done with and see her bill go down and doesn't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Been like this for years. Upgraded to 4s from 3GS and after a day it was like, so?

Apps work the same way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.