Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Hello,

I've searched the forums to try and figure out my problem but couldn't find an answer.

I've just got back from the states with a US iPhone, I have a regular 02 sim here at home that I figured I could pop in and then activate the phone with. Not so. I'm guessing I need a 3g sim???

I'm not looking to hack the phone, I just want to know what type of sim I need to activate the phone and how I go about getting one? If it's a case of walking into an 02 shop and asking for one that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If I've missed a thread on this, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be ace.

Thanks!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You need to live in the US and have an AT&T iPhone SIM card if you don't wish to hack your US iPhone.

If it's a brand new US iPhone shipped with 1.1.2 firmware then even if you wanted to hack it and unlock it, you can't. There isn't a hack available.

The fact that you even mention the phrase 3G SIM card in relation to the iPhone tells me you didn't think much about this purchase before making it, eh?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
The right direction is back to America, I am afraid.

You should have checked. There might be a way to bypass activation. Google it or search on here - it's here. That will possibly allow O2 sims, but I am unsure.

The iPhone is not 3G, so why would a 3G card work?

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Why did you now just buy the iPhone from the uk as you live here. There is away to fix your problem.

You need to do a restore of the device and put the phone into recovery mode and then when you do a restore if you are using a uk version of iTunes it should restore to the uk version of the software which will allow you to use your o2 sim. Remember if you are not planning to use the contract you buy from o2 for the iphone you will need to jailbreak the device.

You need any help pm me but it was a bit stupid buying from america when it is out in this country

mgw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Yeah, I totally understand it was stupid. I didn't really even want one going out there, but a couple of chance encounters meant that I ended up buying one on a whim.

I gave the restore a go but didn't get anywhere, I tried two 02 sims but to no avail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.