New/Used 2012 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by photosmike, Feb 12, 2014.

1. photosmike macrumors member

I bought a used late 2012 iMac. My existing iMac is a late 2009. I have a SSD in my 2009 computer running 10.9.1. Can I just move the SSD from the 2009 iMac to the 2012 iMac? Do I need to use my Time Machine back up and migrate? I also have a Carbon Copy Clone back up of my 2009.

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

The 2012/13 iMac's are not as easy to service compared to pre 2012 models. It requires a more difficult screen removal process. Probably your best bet is to get an enclosure for the SSD and run your boot/applications from the SSD and use the internal hard drive for storage.

3. photosmike thread starter macrumors member

That's my plan.

Can I just move the SSD to the 2012 iMac?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could, but it ain't easy taking apart the 2012/13 iMac.

But if you put it in a USB 3 or Thunderbolt enclosure, the SSD still wouldn't be operating at its full speed, possibly due to controller limitations.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

As you have been advised, it's not going to be easy and you run the risk of ruining the machine. However iFixit has a good how-to-take-apart that you can look at before starting so you can look at that and then decide.

However and this is a big however, if you simply put the SSD into the new machine and don't re-install OS X you are probably in for big problems. My recommendation is to move it then use Internet Recovery to download OS X to it and install. You can then then use a Time Machine backup or a cloned backup from the old machine to restore your data, settings, apps etc..

6. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The 2012/2013 Mac is actually easier to take apart in my opinion.

With the right tool (something to cut the tape) the screen removal process is less delicate than in previous models, and since it is fused to the display there's no problem with dust or fingerprints behind the glass during reassembly.

The layout of the internals is also better.

7. photosmike, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

photosmike thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I am going to take the advise to reinstall Mavericks on the SSD.

My plan is to use a USB 3 enclosure for the SSD and see how it works. If it is unsatisfactory (slow), I will replace the internal hard drive with the SSD and move the hard drive to an external enclosure. It has 8G of RAM. It's a tough call as to whether or not to increase it to 16 as it would require removing more of the internal components.

This is the 21.5 version that does not have the connector for a SSD.

Any advise is welcome.