New, used MB low on disk space

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by jjk454ss, Sep 21, 2015.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

i picked up an open box MBP the other day with the 120GB SSD. When I first turned it on it couldn't find a startup disc, I started Internet Recovery and reinstalled the OS. I then installed a few apps(Numbers, Pages, iTunes, PS Elements, Dropbox, couple other small ones). I used selective sync in Dropbox, it says it's using 680 MB. iTunes says 3.1 GB, Photos says 27.3 with Optimize Storage turned on.

In About This Mac I have:

Other 46.14 GB
    Photos 26.59 GB
    Apps 16.81 GB
    Movies 5.75GB
    Audio 83.6 MB
    Backups 6.4 MB

Obviuosly the Other seems crazy, Apps seems high, and I haven't put one movie on it so I don't k is where that's coming from.

Anyone have some suggestions to get my storage space back? Removing Other? Storing my Photos on iCloud somehow without taking up the space on my Mac? I know it says it only uses the space if it's available, but I feel like it's using too much when I pay for iCloud storage I'd rather just use that.

Do apps like xslimmer still work well? I haven't tried that type of thing for years.

2. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Ok, another case of me jumping the gun. Not sure why, but my Other did Ho down to 14.14GB after a reboot. I though emptying the trash would have cleared it up on its own, maybe it equines a reboot to show in About This Mac?

I'd still like to figure out the Photos, but it's not so important now.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The Storage display relies on Spotlight to index the drive. It takes some time for Spotlight to perform the index after a fresh install of the OS and Apps.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Got it, makes sense, thanks