Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reckless

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I've just got my new iBook and I thought I was doing really well. I've got it connected to my router for Internet access, connected to my existing windows network and can access my files. However, I am having a little difficulty in printing to one of my printers.

I have two printers attached to the network, an epson colour stylus and a samsung Izzu Plus (or ML-4600) laser printer.

I've installed the colour printer and it works fine: I can't seem to get the laser to work though. I believe the problem is that when I try to install it via the printer utility it locates it on the network but then I can't see any samsung driver in the selection list.

I've tried using generic but that simply ended up printing out a line of text and then numerous blank pages. I searched the samsung website and found a driver for os X 10.3 and thought I'd try that. It downloaded a file that I can't open (as my computer tells me that I don't have the program to use it) and yet when I use the printer utility to select "other" as the printer and then highlight the file, it accepts it but won't print. It also shows up in the list then as the name of the file as the printer.

Can someone please advise a newbie on what I'm doing wrong. :)

Thanks for any assistance.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Try using the HP LaserJet 4 driver. Thats a pretty universal driver and may work for your printer.

Reckless

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I can't believe I forgot about Stuffit. There's a fair chance the driver would work if I'd only had the common sense to unstuff the file first.

Please excuse extreme stupidity but I have been using windows for a while......;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.