New User Dumb Questions...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iceman01, Dec 10, 2012.

1. iceman01 macrumors newbie

How come every time I download and install something, I have a icon on my desktop. The icon is not for the program itself but more like the program installation files? Even when I am done installing it is still there. I just updated my Flash, and when I finished there was a flash player icon under my HD volume icons on the desktop. Why is this? How do I get rid of it? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Because that is how you install many applications, you download a disk image (DMG), which then gets mounted (like a CD or DVD) and thus is visible on the Desktop (Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop) and/or Finder's Sidebar (Finder > Preferences > Sidebar).
    To get rid of it after successful installation, you either drag the item to the Trash or click on it and press CMD+E or right click on it and select EJECT.

Installing Applications in Mac OS X

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. iceman01 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! that is what I have been doing, but I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing. I got a free G5, trying to figure it all out. Do you know any decent shooting games that are free?

4. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

There are no dumb questions, so don't be shy.

Sorry, I can't help on the games, not much of a gamer myself these days.

5. Graveyard macrumors regular

Try a little googling around. Depending on your configuration, you might find some interesting games. World of padman, assault cube are some of them. They are both great in multiplayer mode. There are a lot more. See some demos on pure-mac.com for example. Hope it helps.