New user! Help attaching pages documents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psunyy28, Sep 23, 2007.

1. psunyy28 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I was directed here by a friend. I'm new to macs and have been having some problems. I've been trying to attach pages documents to e-mails with no success.

I've tried using safari with a yahoo account. I'm able to choose a file, but when I click to attach the document, I get the message:

Safari can’t open the page.
    Safari can’t open the page “http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us...m/Attachments?YY=54756&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes”. The error was: “POSIX error: Is a directory” (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:21) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

I've also tried to attach it to my gmail email account using firefox. I don't get a message when I do it there, the e-mail just never goes through.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I really need to be able to send out documents.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's doing that because Pages "files" are actually packages - folders that contain other files.

Right click (or Control + Click) on your Pages file and choose Create Archive. You'll then have a zip file which you can send to whoever.

You'll find that many other files on Macs are actually folders, including applications. If you right click or control+click on something, and "show contents" is an option, that means its a directory.

3. psunyy28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much. I think that worked. I was able to send the e-mail. Hopefully my PC buddies will be able to open it :)

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

PC users cannot open Pages files. You have to export it to a format a PC can read, like PDF.

In pages, go to File -> Export and choose PDF.

You'll notice Word is one of the options too. Don't use that - Pages files with complex graphics and stuff do not export to Word well (Word can't handle most of it). A PDF, on the other hand, will look exactly the same as it does in Pages.