Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angel102110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Going to be getting a new macbook, what are the best programs or apps that you guys use on your macbook? can be anything at all that you think is good?
games? how do you guys run windows on it. any help would be great

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Depends on what you want to use it for.

I'm a student, so an office suite is a must. I use MS Office for Mac 2011. I suspect there will be a 2014 version soon. Otherwise iWork apps are free to download as well as OpenOffice, Libre Office, etc.

Lots of choices for a web browser. The native Safari isn't bad, but you can also download Firefox or Chrome (I use the latter).

Otherwise I usually use the native app. ITunes for music and movies and iDevice management, iPhoto for iDevice photos, iMovie for the occasional video editing, QuickTime to watch downloaded media (or VLC if that doesn't work).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your new Mac comes with software (Boot Camp) that prepares your Mac to install Windows 7 or 8 on its own partition - should you want to do that.
http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

You can also run Windows in a virtual machine, using software like Parallels, or VMWare.

Before you do that, you may want to learn more about how your Mac's OS X software works, and some of the good software that actually comes already installed on your Mac.
Here's a great place to start!
http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

And, you can search for your needs, and also post your specific questions here on this site. You will have some, everyone does! :D

episcientist

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
I just got my first MacBook so I'm still learning how everything works but the native apps are very nice. If you're familiar with iOS the interface kind of reminds me of that - there is a mail app that will fetch your Gmail, Safari, Calendar, Notes, Maps, Messages, FaceTime, iTunes, etc. With Pages (word documents), Numbers (spreadsheets), and Keynote (presentations) you can export to the corresponding MS Office file type. Everything backs up to iCloud just like in iOS. I downloaded Chrome (my preferred browser) since that has flash built in whereas Safari was asking me to download a plugin. I'm waiting to get Office for Mac 2014 when it comes out in the Spring.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If I ran windows to it, afterwards I would have to put in the dish washer on sanitize afterwards. :D

For photography: Aperture or Lightroom as the main environment with plugins such as the Nik Collection, Pixelmator, and Perfect Photo Suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.