Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hi, I am moving files from an old user to a new user (short name is messed); just wondering, A), where to I put my Music, Photos, Docs, etc so that the new user can access them, and B), how to make the new user the owner of everything (the terminal command...). Cheers!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hi, I am moving files from an old user to a new user (short name is messed); just wondering, A), where to I put my Music, Photos, Docs, etc so that the new user can access them, and B), how to make the new user the owner of everything (the terminal command...). Cheers!
Each user is given a home folder. The easiest way if you're not going to use the old account anymore is to use the Finder to change the permissions on the Macintosh HD>>Users>>"old user account" folder structure. Do that by logging in as the new account, right clicking the old user folder's icon and selecting Get Info, then moving to the Ownership and Permissions section and setting the new account as the owner (click the padlock and log in as an admin if it's greyed out). Make sure you select to Apply to enclosed items, and all your permissions are set.

Now you can just move the files straight from the old Music etc. folders to the new one by selecting all :)apple: +A) and dragging them over to the shortcuts in your finder's left hand panel.

Although in this case you've already changed the ownership, for future reference here's the terminal command

sudo chown [-R] username "file or folder name"

The sudo is only optional if you don't already have write permissions to the file/directory and the -R option will apply the change to child objects of the "file or folder name" you specify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.