New User, No Usb Drive!!!help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ALEKATNM, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ALEKATNM macrumors newbie

OK, Hello to everyone. Ive only had my mac 13 since march. I love it, but today I went to load a new playlist in Itunes and it said it couldnt find the file. I keep all of my music on a seagate go. before using it I erased and then partitioned, and added all my music. it was working fine. Now it does not show up on the desktop, but appears in disk utility, the main tab for it will not let me mount it, but the partition has the button available, but fails. I had not loaded it on a windows system until someone in another thread suggested it. It did not recognize it either. the usb is listed in hardware in the windows system, but again no access. I was hoping to somehow back up my music, without it taking up HD space. now its all on my usb drive and I cant get to it to back it up. Is the only thing left to do is re-format? I hope not I dont want to lose my music.

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I'd say that you're pretty well out of luck. I doubt that your hard drive's partitioning would just "quit mounting" unless there is an actual hardware problem. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking your hard drive may have given out on you. Do you have an iPod? If you happened to have all your music loaded onto an iPod, you can get programs like Senuti (http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/) and copy all the music back.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

From my own personal experience, OS X has some of the flakiest partitions known to man-kind. I have yet to meet a mac that hasn't had a partition go bad on it.

If I were you, I'd plug the drive into a Windows computer and install mac drive. Usually that worked where OS X failed me.