New User organizing old MP3 Library

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JackVa1, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JackVa1 macrumors member

I have a basic question:

When I change the Info Tag I do not see any change when I view the file in my raw music library. When I sync I have chosen not to create another music library.

So what changed? Is this just a change I am making to the ITUNE view of my music? I am confused.

Also , is it advisable to create the second library?

Thanks

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

When you change the information in the Get Info screen, your changes are saved in two places: one, in the iTunes library database file, and (for artist, title and other very basic info) as metadata inside the file itself. It will not change the name of the raw file and, if you have elected not to "Copy to iTunes Music Folder" in your Preferences, will not change its location either.

Using "Keep iTunes folder organized" and "Copy to iTunes folder" is best for those who are starting completely from scratch, or who would like to consolidate from many different locations. However, if you have already arranged folders to your liking, you don't have to do this, and the iTunes database will happily point to wherever your music files currently reside. This is helpful for those users who have other family members/friends access those mp3s via another program like Windows Media Player for syncing to non-Apple devices.

3. JackVa1 thread starter macrumors member

This was very helpful to me. I know enough about PC's to want to know what is going on. Origonally I let ITUNES have at my 2000 MP3's . They were displayed all over the place on my device and very unmanagable. I suspect that was because I checked "Keep iTunes folder organized" , but not "Copy to iTunes Music Folder" . Does this make sense?

Also , where is the Itunes Library database file if you do not have Itunes keep a folder? I don;t recogize it anywhere.

Thanks a lot

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

If you had amassed a collection of MP3s elsewhere, and had been using a separate MP3 app before using iTunes, then yes, iTunes may indeed have had problems deciphering what, if any, metadata (tag info) was in each file. Different MP3 software programs utilize different ways of keeping track of music information.

The iTunes Music Library database file, on a Windows PC, is in your My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder; it'll be called iTunes Music Library.xml. It can be viewed by a text editor like WordPad, but I wouldn't recommend doing this; it's easy to corrupt if you do so. There is a folder in this same directory called iTunes Music. This is the default location for all purchased iTunes songs and tracks imported from CDs by iTunes, as well as the location iTunes would "Copy to iTunes Folder" had you selected that choice.