New User Partition help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iceman600, Mar 30, 2011.

1. iceman600 macrumors member

iceman600

i just bought a new macbook pro 13"
    this is my first MAC and kinda liking it so far.
    i came from a windows linux dualbooting machine.

i usually make my OS partition separate from my files. So now that im new to mac i dont kno what format im gonna use for the storage partition.

in ubuntu i used ext4... i i seperate my root to home so i can update the distro easily when a new distro version came along. On my wndows7 machine its the same thing. i have the C: seperate from my storage and both are formated by NTFS.

Now if i go to disk utilities now and choose the my HDD (the one above the machintosh HD) and partition it by 2. what format will i choose on the second one? and what if in the future i want to dual boot into windows... will that partition can be read by windows? I need help... im still playing around sntalling things while im waiting for my SSD to arrive. then i will do the final partition in there or maybe do a data doubler and take out the cd drive which i did not use anyway...

thanks for the help guys... :D

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

for windows, it will be Fat32, and then when you set up Windows under bootcamp, it will format NTFS. The MBP should be MacOS Journalized or whatnot by default.

3. iceman600 thread starter macrumors member

iceman600

the main drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled)... so the 2nd partition im using for my storage is the same? with JOurnaled optiong too... coz i noticed there is one option without the journaled....

whats the difference of journaled and without anyway?
    so my second partition will be also formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)...

:confused:

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

if you are going to just use the second partition on OS X and not Windows or anything, than OS Extended Journaled would be fine.

Here is some info on it Journaled

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

If you want to dual boot windows, use Boot camp

info on Journaled:

http://www.differencebetween.net/ob...mac-os-extended-and-mac-os-extendedjournaled/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...or-your-macs-internal-or-external-storage.ars

6. iceman600 thread starter macrumors member

iceman600

ok did a make a second partition of journaled and put all my files there.
    problem is now that im installing windows, bootcamp assistant wont let me...

here are some visuals :confused:

Attached Files:

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

hmm, that is interesting. Try partitioning them in all different types I guess. I have never partitioned my drive into 3..