New User - questions on transferring data

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SpeedRacerx89, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SpeedRacerx89, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014

SpeedRacerx89 macrumors newbie

Well, I finally made the switch from PC. After starting to frequent this site a few months ago, I decided it was time. I have had my iphones and iPad 2, but never made the jump from PC until now. So I went to Best Buy with my student & movers coupons and grabbed a new 13”-4-256 Macbook Air for around $950. And I also decided to grab an InCase sleeve while I was there (also had a student coupon). Very excited to start my Mac experience!
    One question I have though, is what’s the best/easiest way to transfer my itunes info/files to my new computer? I currently have my library backed-up on a My Passport.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Plug the My Passport drive into your computer and manually copy the data you want to transfer. That's probably the easiest way imo.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your new baby :)

3. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I would need to handle it a different way...

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

5. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. I plan on trying to move my stuff over tonight after work.

6. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes...

So I moved I thought I moved my iTunes from my passport into the correct location on my new mac, but iTunes is only recognizing stuff i have purchased and to download again. And it's not recognizing albums I ripped into the iTunes on my old pc... What am I missing?

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

8. 960design macrumors 68020

Migration Assistant is probably the easiest.

Search(top right Mac Air)->Migration Assistant->follow instructions. I recommend thunderbolt, fireware800 or a usb3 cable connecting both machines for the fastest transfer. Be sure to turn sleep off on both until they are done.

9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

This. Or this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

10. SpeedRacerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. After reopening my itunes folder, I found that when I moved over my old itunes folder onto my Mac, somehow it got put into the Album Artwork folder. So after I moved it to the correct path almost all of the music that wasn't showing up now does. There's still a few albums that are missing in itunes, but they're inside the actual itunes music folder. Now maybe I will make itunes manually find those few? It confuses me when itunes recognizes others in that same location but not ALL...