New User Questions: Using Boot Camp & VMWare Fusion Together

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vereina, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Vereina macrumors member

Hello, everybody. I just discovered this forum, having finally taken the plunge and bought a Mac Pro to replace an aging Dell PC. (My wife has had a MacBook Pro since early last year, which is what convinced me to switch.)

My main use for the new machine will be photo processing, including astrophotography. I will obviously be able to use Photoshop natively, but will have to use Windows for one or two astro packages (and also for occasional use of an old Windows version of Mathematica).

So, my questions:

Am I right to think that it is possible to install Windows with Boot Camp and then also use the same Windows install under Fusion? If so, is there anything special that needs to be done when first doing the Boot Camp install?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is possible, and nothing special is needed during the BC setup :)

3. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Is the other-way around also possible?

I am exporting a Vista installation (w. WMWare Converter), to run this in Fusion. Is there a way I also set this up for use in Bootcamp? And if so, is there a guide to help me out?

TIA, KB

4. Code001 macrumors member

I've heard that certain settings and profiles can get messed up when running both Boot Camp and VMWare/Parallels. Any truth to this?

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I run Windows XP in boot camp, and I am able to access the same partition through vmware. There can be problems with licensing issues (activation key). You must follow the steps described by vmware, or activation will fail, as it will want to activate every time you switch between boot camp and fusion.

6. DirtyDan macrumors member

I went back to bootcamp only because vmware fusion wouldn't let me use bluetooth in windows, which was quite frustrating since I was working on a big project at work at the time and NEEDED bluetooth to work under windows.

edit: I'm going to try vmware fusion one more time if it causes bluetooth problems etc this time around I'm done with it. This time all my bootcamp drivers are working ahead of time...

Google keeps causing me to make epic thread revivals!