New user soon, but questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fonz500, Dec 18, 2007.

1. fonz500 macrumors member

I can't wait until Dec 26th when I can go to my mall and buy my new Iphone!!! (I have to wait b/c I am getting like $300 of gift cards to buy one, and yes I called my Apple store and I can use them)

The wife and I are currently with Sprint, but we will be switching. I have talked to an ATT rep and they are going to waive the activation fees and give us like $100 towards my wife's phone to switch.

I was planning on going into ATT and signing up with them, get my wife a phone and get a free one for me (to keep in case my Iphone craps out), then go to Apple and buy my Iphone.

My main question is:
    Do I have to wait until my phone # has been ported over from Sprint and my free phone works before I activate my Iphone??? And then do I activate as a current customer of ATT ???? Sorry, I have been with Sprint for like 8 years so it's been a while since I have switched companies. And I have never ported my number over. Have many of you done this????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The AT&T offer is only valid if you purchase at the AT&T Store?

How much do you have to pay for the two phones there?

After the port has completed, times vary, you need only insert the SIM into your iPhone and connect to iTunes.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

insert what sim into the iphone? .. doesn't it only take the sim it comes with?

6. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

I will only be able to get the deal for switching in the ATT store.

I will be buying the Iphone in the Apple store. So I have to switch cards or something ???? I won't be putting any contacts or anything in the "free" phone. I just want to have it as a back up.

Nobody else has done this ?????

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My son transferred his SIM CARD...

"unsuccessfully" and manually put his phone numbers and email addresses in his new iPhone (on his NEW Sim Card as well) and it only took him a "few HOURS" to transfer over 300 contacts. (He's LOL as I asked him about the procedure!) :cool:

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No matter whether you buy from AT&T or Apple, you would use iTunes to activate iPhone with AT&T. iTunes would also ask if you want to port your number.

Your phone would be ready to use in half a day or a few hours. If you port your number I think it takes a day or so for the number to transfer.

9. coolg35748 macrumors newbie

First off congrats on deciding to get an iPhone. I bought mine earlier today and love it! I started activating it around four today and just upgraded an existing number and around 4:30 all my music on it and was fully activated. Very fast and simple in my opinion. I am listening to music while typing this . The keyboard takes some getting used to. I will be Typing on the forums to get better at it. No complaints so far. Hope you will like yours as much as I like mine!

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

congrats on your soon to be iPhone! It puts a smile on my face every time we get new iPhone owners.