New User to iDVD - HELP please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonictonic, Aug 10, 2007.

1. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I've got 3 videos of a TV show, total size for all 3 is 1.24GB... but for some reason iDVD is' allowing me to make a DVD with all 3 videos on a 4.7GB DVD-R disc! WHY?! I'm frustrated. How on earth can 1.24GB be inflated that horribly when making a DVD of the 3 files?

What should I do? Or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

:)

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Just for starters- how long is each tv show?
    For burning (except data dvds) the number of minutes it can hold takes some precedence over the size in gigabytes.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Is 1.24GB the file size before putting the files in iDVD? Because iDVD will put them in MPEG-2 format for burning to disc, rather than the H.264 MPEG-4 you probably have on the original files.

4. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey guys thanks for replying. :)

yeah each tv show is about 45 minutes...

...and they are in mpeg4 h.264 format.

Originally they were on the web as AVI's and I converted them with iSquint for my Apple TV and iPhone. Can I convert them in a way that iDVD won't have to re-encode like I think you're talking about?

I just don't get how 3 videos 1.24GB in size total can be so heavily inflated. :(

5. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't believe I just learned this. Well, hey not only am I new to iDVD but kinda new to burning DVD's too. :eek:

IS there any way to get more than 120mins on a DVD that will play in most DVD set top players?

Thanks. :)