new verizon data plan promotions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by halfmonkey, Nov 1, 2014.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I currently have the unlimited data plans with 2 ip5 on a family plan. The other 3 lines are using dumb phones. We're interested in upgrading to the ip6 and maybe even switching to their new plans. I saw on engadget and yahoo news that vz will be offering some bumps in their data plans for a limited time. The plan that I'm interested in was 6gb for $80 and now it's bumped up to 10gb for $80. What I'm wondering if anybody knows is once you upgrade the plan to this new 10gb for $80, how long do you get the 10gb for? I've seen other promotions where the promotion offers an upgraded data plan but for example, the upgraded data available only lasts for the 2 year contract term and then after that it reverts back to the original data plan. I can't seem to find any specific details of this "limited" promotion as to what the "limits" are. If anybody knows, please share.

2. fenskezen macrumors regular

I just saw a cnet article tonight. Called and got my old 6 gig for $80 upped to 10. I had already been getting the promotional 1g for upgrading to the iPhone 6. So now I have 11g for 80. Took a two mt call #. Rep said it was for the duration of my current 2 yr contract that I signed when I got the 6. WIN!!

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

It will be in effect for as long as you keep the contract going or until you change it.

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

you're going to regret giving up unlimited data.

5. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Here's why I'm thinking about giving it up. My wife and I notice that whenever we're at any place where there are a lot of people, our LTE connection is nonexistent. It's almost as if there's so much traffic using verizon's service that they're throttling the unlimited data users first because I'm not aware of other verizon user with the same experience.

For example, we recently went to Knott's Scary Farm and when the park got really busy neither of us could get any data connection and if we did actually get any, it was super slow to just load one page.

So I'm thinking if I actually get on one of their newer plans, vz won't throttle me and the new phones can access XLTE, if that really is worth anything or just marketing speak.

Anybody else experience slower data connection speeds in large groups?

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Thanks for the heads up! I just switched from 8gb for $90 a month to 10gb for $80!

7. ag29 macrumors 6502

This doesn't have anything to do with the unlimited data because verizon doesn't throttle it. I have the same issues whenever I go to a large mall.

If you don't use much data and the 10GB plan is significantly cheaper, go for it!;) It's definitely a good deal.

XLTE gives you very fast speeds in areas that are lucky to have it, but in reality it doesn't really matter because Verizon's regular LTE is usually fast enough for what you need, and areas with weak LTE signal are not going to be blessed with a good XLTE signal.

8. halfmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I don't believe that to be true because as I understand how XLTE works, it allowing users in cities with XLTE to access more bandwidth which is theory will free up space on the old LTE spectrum which should eliminate some bottleneck and therefore allow LTE speeds to be maintained. I don't believe my ip5 has access to XLTE and my city is XLTE capable.

9. ag29 macrumors 6502

My point was if you are in an area with a weak LTE signal, do not expect XLTE to fix your problems.

XLTE frequency cannot penetrate buildings as good as a regular LTE signal and also does not have as great of a range.

On my college campus, Verizon speeds range anywhere from 5-90 MBPS. You could be on one side of the campus and get 85 MBPS, then move to another side and get 50 MBPS, but the moment you go inside a building or move a little away from the campus in any direction, the speeds drastically go down to a measly 5-10 MBPS.

10. luked14 macrumors 6502

Hopefully by the time these promotions run out with a 2-year contract, Verizon will be offering better data plans.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

That's not an issue with your UDP, though, just your plan. If you get an iPhone 5S or 6, you'll be able to access the XLTE bands (which is really just ordinary LTE on the AWS bands - Verizon isn't using carrier aggregation/aka LTE-Advanced like AT&T because they don't need to yet).

That said there are TONs of UDPs out there right now because of the glitch in the apple.com ordering system, so if you decide to switch off, getting another UDP would just require going onto eBay or SlickDeals.

12. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

i did not have home internet for almost a year.
    used my unlimited data, hotspot and it worked great.
    blew thru 50-200GB/month for the same price y'all pay for 2GB.

WINNING.

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

On the rare occasion my wife and I are at an event with enough people to bog down my cellphone data, she has the same issue with hers. She is on a share everything plan with her mom while I am on ULD. So ULD is not the culprit. Never has she received better speeds, always the same or close enough to be negligible (I.e. Under 1 Mbps difference).