New Verizon phone...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cheekybobcat, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Unfortunately, I cannot get the iPhone due to my carrier. If I did want AT&T so I could then get the iPhone, I would have to pay for the plan myself. Not happening...

So...I am forced to remain with Verizon (*sad*) and get phones that they offer. I have $150 cash money right now and will be buying a phone within the next few days.
    I know this may be a shot in the dark considering everyone here is some sort of Apple enthusiast and many of which may have iPhones, but I figured that someone has to be as unlucky as me as to have Verizon.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for phones? Any phones that someone may own that is particularly "cool" or good to use? I was looking at the EnV2 but who knows...
    Thanks for any responses :)

2. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

The samsung glyde just came out like a week ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its on sale at best buy now for $99.99 which is a heck of a deal. Its around $199 at Verizon. Those prices are with a new 2 year conract.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Do want.:eek:

A lot of my friends have the Juke, and they like it, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I don't have Verizon, nor do I want to get Verizon, but I do think the Glyde is a really nice phone. It has nice big keys on it, not those little tiny nubs that get passed off as actual keys by other companies. I've also had good experiences with Samsung phones in general. :)

5. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

I have the same service... With your two-year renewal you get a $100 credit, and the Glyde is $199, hope you can do the math:p, and it is the next phone i get...in august....but it has full touchscreen and a sweet qwerty keyboard, so go to your local VZW store and see if they have it on display and try it out!! I want it bad!!

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Waiting to see what the LG VX9700 (nifty looking iPhone competitor) looks like before I do anything. Or if RIM can get the rumored VZW exclusive touchscreen Blackberry out the door in a reasonable time frame, I might take a peek at that.

7. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

I totally would go that route, but my parents pay for my service and they won't go to the data plan to get a smartphone. But i really like the Glyde. Also look at the EnV 2...it has a great qwerty keyboard!

8. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I also vote for the Glyde.

Don't worry about having Verizon, they have the best service no matter where you are and I travel a lot.

9. Requiemm macrumors regular

Try te XV6900 for as close as you can get to an iPod on Verizon at the moment Link to Verizon

The jump over to this post on Howard forums to see how it can look like an iPhone.

I had one for about a week before the wife, (She Who Must Be Obeyed), approved the move to AT&T and the iPhone purchase. If she hadn't done that I'd still have mine.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I currently have Verizon, but since my phone (EnV) was the hottest thing, about, um, a year and a half ago, I would suggest the Glyde as others have. Looks like a nice phone, you ought to check some reviews for it.

*goes to check reviews for it*

11. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Another way...

I recently lost my old Verizon moto V710 (coal-fired version) and was in a quandry: Not wanting to re-up with verizon for another two years (my contract is done in Oct) and needing a phone. So, I bought a local used (barely) palm treo 650p fairly cheaply. Phone works great, although the interface (so damn many buttons/screens!) is pretty clunky. If I decide to go iPhone later this year, I think I can probably sell the palm for close to what I paid for it. Then, I'm out of verizon jail! Plus, I get to mess around with this old palm technology for a while.

12. asc macrumors newbie

Wife and I just re-signed, and got a stellar deal (free after rebates) on two glydes.

Now I'm trying to see if there is any way via bluetooth or a 3rd party cable to either sync, or transfer my iCal and Address Book data over to the phone. So far I've had no luck.

Wondering if anyone has info on this? Bitpim doesn't have support yet for the Glyde. Anything else out there you all have knowledge of?

Thanks in advance.

13. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, I am sorta at the moment in the same boat as you. I am on my parents plain with my BlackBerry 8830. But I am looking to get my own and plain and start paying my own Bills... So I am looking to switch to Sprint/Nextel. $99 a month for everything, Unlimited Minutes/Data/SMS/Everything... It's very tempting and would suggest looking at some of there plains if they have good service in your area. They also are very good for people with little credit history. They will let me in the doors, deposit free unlike AT&T. While I am not telling you to do this, it's a suggesting. That you could be proud of your self. If not, I suggest anything RIM. Look at the 8830 or 8330, they are a beast of a phone. I would be willing to sell you my Berry cheap, when I get my Sprint BlackBerry.

14. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The Blackberry Storm is out now as well, and is quite similar to the iPhone.

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

16. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

My family and I are getting upgrades to our phone and possibly our plan, in addition (to add texting).

If we get the texting plan, is the Env2 a good choice for a phone, is it worth the $50 and how hard is it to copy music to the phone? Does it use a standard USB plug? Also, is it possible via Bluetooth, or will I have to boot to Windows to change songs on the phone? Does it require the MicroSD card for music?

If we don't get the texting plan, does anyone have the LG 6205? How are the music features on the phone, as I'm interested in using music playing. Does this require a MicroSD card, and can you copy songs via Bluetooth?

Sorry if I sound overly inquisitive, I just don't want to get stuck with another phone like what I've got (Motorola w315), where I can't do crap with it.

Thanks in advance!

17. macthegreat macrumors newbie

18. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

If you're still looking (posted a long time ago), I'd go Storm. Seems as if they've fixed the firmware and stuff...

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

One of my friends has that phone and it's really nice, she got it for only $50 (I think).

20. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I dunno if you would wanna get the Glyde. Two of my friends have it and they say that it crashes a lot, freezes, etc. Its a shame, cause I wanted that phone. :(

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

They shouldn't. My cousin's doesn't it that often. Maybe once and a while, and she's even dropped it down a flight of stairs by accident.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm with Verizon, and not even a free iPhone could make me go with AT&T. I was on an AT&T plan recently and it was free, but I dumped it and now I'm paying for Verizon. I'm much happier with the service, AT&T is extremely unreliable here in SLC.

Anyway, I picked up a pair of LG Venus phones for my wife and I. I got the black model, my wife got the pink. We love them!

Though I'm not sure that they are being offered anymore, they might have been discontinued at the new year.

SLC

Attached Files: