New Verizon Phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, Jun 22, 2009.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

First, let me start with thank you for your help in advance.
    Now, I need to tell you what I want. I MUST have Verizon, so iPhone (or any other non-Verizon phone for that matter) is out. As much as I would like one, it's simply not feasible because I get much better service with Verizon, get a discount, and am essentially locked in with them for two more years (family plan). Therefore, I am looking for a good smartphone. I have considered the Samsung Omnia, but went into the store to see it in person and found it very sluggish and hard to use. I have also used the Blackberry Storm and hated it, so thats a no-go as well. Now, I'm debating between the HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, Blackberry Tour (soon to be released), and Blackberry Pearl Flip. Any advice would be much appreciated. I would like either a full qwerty or a touch screen capable of one in a smartphone that is not too outdated, and has a pretty good user experience. Thank you!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't know about the HTC, but I will say to avoid the BB Pearl. It is crap.

3. ordo1980 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have just one line though, but I'm looking to go up to a smartphone now for law school. I'm strongly considering the curve - 8330. ...It's $20, can't really beat that. And yeah, I know they will probably be coming out with a new curve in a few months, but I need it for August and the price is right. I might call in to see if I can just get it free since I've been with VZW for so long, and since I'll be signing another 2yr contract, that'll be an extra 30/month they'll be getting from me. You're right, the storm is crap, and I just can't understand why people would want a smart/touchphone. I just think a QWERTY keyboard is an absolute must if you're going to be doing messaging and emailing, which is exactly what I'll be doing and using it for.

For what I'll use it for, I really feel like the curve 8330 would be more than enough, at least for the next two years anyways. I realize I probably will miss out on the latest and greatest blackberries and operating systems, but I fail to see why I truly NEED the latest and greatest for what I'll be using it for. I'll just be a law student. I'm sure actual attorneys, doctors, stock brokers, etc., etc., really do need the latest and greatest blackberries. But I don't feel like I'm THAT important. My only reason for wanting a blackberry for law school is so I instantly get emails from professors ... like if there's a syllabus change, assignment change, exam change, etc., then I'm instantly in the know. Plus it might come in handy for doing searches on the fly, looking stuff up in an online legal dictionary, etc. For me, the curve 8330 would be fine.

Really, it's up to you on what you need the blackberry to do. A new model will probably cost $200 w/ 2yr agreement minimum. So if you're holding out for a new one, just keep in mind you will pay a higher cost for having the latest and greatest. I simply can't justify doing that when I can get something that suits my needs for $20. I bet if I wait another month I could probably get it free.

But definitely don't get a touch or a pearl. You really should get a full-sized QWERTY keyboard model. Good luck with your search!

PS: And I feel like I've done my waiting for the latest and greatest toy ... new 13" MBP 2.26 is what I'll be getting for school. THAT was definitely something worth waiting for. Just don't think, for what I'll use it for, that it's worth it to wait for a new model just to pay minimum $200 for it. Just my 2 cents.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If you have your heart set on an iPhone but need to keep Verizon, maybe you can afford to wait? You may get your wish.

5. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ordo--I would seriously wait until July 13 when the blackberry tour 9630 will be released (it has been announced by rim and verizon). It is essentially the new verison of the 8800 with a camera, faster processor, more memory, and a bigger screen. Right now that is high on my list but I really want to see if the verizon touch pro is as bad as everyone says it is

6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

ok ok, so its a dumbphone, but i really like my alias 2. super functional dual-flip capability, plus e-ink keys for high geek factor.

i use my ipod touch for smartphone type things and just use my phone for my phone.

7. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a samsung glyde that I can't stand, but I must say that the browsing experience is decent, and I really want better web capabilities as well as a phone I will not grow bored with because I like to tinker, and the smartphones give the most leeway in that regard.

I have also considered the LG Versa and Dare, but was sadly disappointed by their capabilities

8. qacjared macrumors regular

and remember most LG phones don't sync with iSync :(, and those that do are because of 3rd party tools.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I have a Dare. While not an iphone, it's not that bad. Battery life is 3-5 days, great reception, workable browser, good speaker, workable email and fantastic camera/flash with nice editing package. I have an Air and touch for other stuff but it suits me fine until Verizon comes out with something great. Tried the Storm for a while and wasn't a fan at all. Traded for the Dare after two weeks.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I've ordered a BlackBerry Tour and I can't wait for it to come in. Hopefully it'll arrive at my door on July 13.

IMHO, it looks like the best smartphone in Verizon's lineup. Faster than a BB Storm with more RAM, 480x360 pixel screen (which is the same as the Storm, IIRC), QWERTY keyboard from the BB Bold and - the best part - it's not Windows Mobile.

I don't think the lack of WiFi will bother me too much given the low data requirements of a BB anyway (as compared to the iPhone).

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This has always been the trade off with Verizon - best network, worst phones. But yeah, I think the Tour might be your best option.

12. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I used to have a HTC but with windows mobile:mad: I hated the OS. The HTC with Google OS looks good. I saw it on an advert anyone know which one it is?

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

HTC Hero and HTC Magic...both of which are GSM.