Carrier New Verizon plan vs Share everything plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lifetimechaldo, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

I have recently switched to the new Verizon plan. I would like your advice on it to see if i made the right choice:

I have three lines on my account

What i was paying before:
    $70 for 6gb of data, and $40 per line, which equals $190. Plus a $40 activation free for every time we get a phone.

On the new plan:
    $80 for 12gb, $40 for two lines that are still under two year contracts, $20 for another line (a 5c) that is now payed off. This equals to $180. In a year from now, the $40 line frees will go down to $20. At this point my cost will be $80+$20+$20+$20 = $140.

On top of this $140, i will also now be responsible for a full retail price of any new phone purhcaed over a 24 month period. After this i will own the phone and be able to do whatever i want with it. In the past, i have always sold my phone to pay for the new one. For example, last year i sold my iPhone 5 for about $300 and used it to buy the 6+.

Assuming next year I sell my 6+ 64gb for about $400, that will take down the price of the 7+ or whatever Apple makes next from $849 to $449. The monthly fee will then be about $19. This holds true for the other lines as well, as they have cheaper teared iPhones (one has a 5c the other has a 6. Assuming they sell their phones for about $200 and get the $649 phone it will also end up being $449 over 24 months). At this point i will be paying:

$80 for 12gb, $20x3 line fees, and $19x3 phone cost which ends up being $197. Essentially, the new phone price offsets the reduction in line fee. Only differnce i get 12gb instead of 6gb. There are also no line activation fees, which are nice.

What do you guys think? How does this compare to Apples new phone every year policy?

2. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

Also, Why is the apple upgrade program a few bucks more than the cost of the phone divided by 24 months? Is it possible to put a down payment from the phone i am going to sell next year onto the apple upgrade program? If so, what happens to that down payment after a year?

3. Jws macrumors regular

The Apple Upgrade Program includes Apple Care+, so that is factored in. As far as the downpayment, I could not say.

4. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

Another question I have, is that if im going to end up paying about the same amount for the full price of the phone vs Apples price on the AUG plan, is there any reason NOT to do it?

5. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

6. flur macrumors 68000

I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking if your math is good?

You should have been getting $25/month off on your off-contract 5c on your Share Everything plan.

7. Lifetimechaldo thread starter macrumors member

Pretty much im asking if the plan is a good plan or not lol. By my math, i think it is, but i may be wrong.

8. flur macrumors 68000

Well, I think it's a good plan, as I switched to it earlier this month and pro-rated back to August. It's saving me $5/month over my old plan.

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

For reference: we're not on contract, unlimited talk/text with 8GB data plan for $70, $15 per device x 2 = $100/month

Picked up our two iPhones last week's pre-order, payment plan, no activation fee AFAIK.

10. flur macrumors 68000

How'd you get 8gb for $70? The Share Everything price for 8gb was $80.

11. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

It was a deal they offered us - I think our origin plan was 4gb and we got offered double the capacity for the same price (i.e., $70) several months ago. Then we were on the $15 discount per line, and I chatted a couple of weeks ago about the iPhone, and the rep said he'd drop the per line to $15 ($25 discount per line) - which was only for 10gb or more accounts.

It all seems totally random, but I'm definitely not complaining :cool:

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm reasonably sure you have to go online and add those discounts to Share Everything plans. They don't turn on automatically when your contract ends. My dad pays around $260 for 4 iPhones and an iPad. Two (maybe 3 now) of the iPhones are out of contract now, and I'm pretty sure they're still $40. I don't have a bill in front of me to do an exact price breakdown, but we do have a discount from my dad's company.

13. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I think it is good. I just did something similar. My only issue is that we are very small data users - most months < 1 gig but occasionally between 1 and 2. There is no 2 gb on the new plan so we have to do 3 GB. Not a lot of money a month but difference but I wish there was a 2 GB plan

14. flur macrumors 68000

The upside is that if you see that you're getting close to the end of the month and you're only going to use 1 gig, you can prorate the whole month to the 1gb plan, then the next month bump it up again.