New Verizon Share All plans

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HiddenPuppy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Anybody get these and how do you find it is going to do for your bill? Is the hotspot included at no charge?

HiddenPuppy

2. stooley macrumors regular

3. HiddenPuppy thread starter macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

4. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

This works out to be about $30 less even with adding the iPad to it.

5. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The new plans that support smartphones are awful ($50 for 1GB, plus $40 for each smartphone--really, Verizon?), but the data-only plans are reasonably priced.

Using the prepaid, built-in iPad plans, 3GB costs $50. Signing up for a data-only Share Everything plan gives you 4GB for $40, or 6GB for $50, and for $10 more, you can add additional tablets.

(Frankly, if Verizon allowed smartphones on the "data-only" plans for $40 each [compared with $10 each for tablets--the extra $30 per device covers text and talk], they'd be a decent deal. I currently pay $180 for 3 iPhones with unlimited data and use just under 6GB total; paying $160 for 6GB of capped data would be reasonable to me.)

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

"Awful" is relative to your wants/needs. I just switched my 5 lines over and am saving $140/month, get a better voice/text plan and same data plan as I already had. Plus mobile hotspot feature included. I made out great!

YMMV of course.

7. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Can you give me a breakdown of how that works out? I'm genuinely curious. :)

My guess is that you had a ton of minutes or unlimited calling before and don't use much data.

8. ckiggins314 macrumors member

I looked into this and it is not worth it for me. I have both a Droid Razr with a 4GB plan (it's under the double your data promo so I get 4GB for the price of 2GB) and then I pay for 2GB of data on my iPad (prepaid) each month.

Total cost currently is $103.99.

If I switched to one of their share everything plans with 6GB of data they want $130.

No thanks.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It looks like these plans are not a good deal for people with only 2-3 phones, or the smaller data packages. The more devices you have, the better it may be.

As usual, the changes will be better for a few, but worse for most. Verizon would not make the change if it would save everyone money...

10. idencustom macrumors member

I am trying to figure out how this would save me money. I have a 64gb 4G LTE (ipad 3) and i pay 30 for 2gb/month. My wife has a 16gb 3G (ipad 2) and i pay 20.00 for 1gb for her.

Would a share plan benefit us?

11. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

It would probably be better for you, IF you can have a 3G device AND 4G device on the same plan. Im not sure if you can do that, but for the same price you pay now ($50) you could get 4GB of shared data a month, which is 1gb more than you have now... and for $10 more you can get 6GB, and so on...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan-information/?page=share-everything

scroll down to: Share Everything Options for Mobile Broadband Devices

12. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Agreed - the highest potential to save is my maxing out the number of devices on the plan (10). Then dividing the bill up amongst those people. I am looking to consolidate several family members lines in hopes of saving some money.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I outlined it all HERE in case you are interested. I can actually save more if I roll my MiFi into the mix. The shared data plans actually go as high as 15 gigs but not sure they are listed.

And you are partially correct. We use a ton of voice minutes, a ton of texts and modest cellular data.

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

They are great plans. I'm saving over $100 dollars.

15. HiddenPuppy thread starter macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Looks like it is mixed, some are saving and some are not. Looks as though it is a need to calculate each case on a one on one basis.

HiddenPuppy

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For what I was paying for 2 iPhones (after discount) I now have the same 2 iPhones and the iPad (before discount). Lost unlimited but we both use ~2GB/month and I went for the 4GB tier.

17. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

So really these plans depend on your usage. I have unlimited 4g and use at least 5GB a month while my wife with unlimited 3G barely uses 1GB a month. To me it's not worth the costs to start worrying "will I go over by accident, have to check load Verizon app to see usage."

With 3G most people will barely hit 1GB, but assuming the next iPhone goes 4G, that 1gb will be more like 2 or 3 GB for a lot of people and will catch them off guard. So now these "I'll be saving money with a shared plan" people turns to "I need a bigger data plan" So they are spending more money. That's probably why they are releasing this now before a lot of iPhone users switch to 4G. Which after all that happens goes back to what I said earlier. "Will I go over by accident, have to check load the Verizon app to see usage."

Edit: also if you search this ipad forum you'll find people going over their plan not knowing how they did.