New version of app deleted previous data, help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sempiternal., Dec 19, 2013.

1. sempiternal. macrumors newbie

Yesterday I updated an app (5s) and it of course deleted all the previous months' worth of data in it. I tried restoring from a backup from a few days ago (before the update and before I got the 5s) and it does not restore that app to its original form/data. Instead, it is still showing the updated version of the app with all my data missing.

I did this 4 times and I am not only worried about screwing up the new phone with restoring it so much but also wondering if it is possible to restore the old app version back so I can get that data.

I also tried doing the restore on an unactivated 3s (that I use as an ipod) but I can't update to ios7 on it so it won't restore from that backup...

Is there anyway to get this app data back or am I SOL?

Thanks!

2. laurenashley macrumors regular

laurenashley

I would first look at who developed the app and see if you can contact them about it. I know some games have deleted progress and simply contacting them helps a lot. Also, do you have a backup from before you updated it? I figured it would go back to the version you had...but I could be wrong.

3. sempiternal. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the previous backups I tried to restore had the un-updated version of the app (I only updated it last night) yet when I restore from those versions the updated app still shows up! I have no idea why. If I were to contact the developer could they restore the previous data? (I doubt that but I suppose it may be worth a try...).

I have no idea why the updated version is showing up on old backups from days ago before I updated the app.