New version of Final Cut Express soon?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macstatic, Apr 27, 2007.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I've heard that a new version of Final Cut Pro is just around the corner (May?). Has anyone heard if there's going to be an update to Final Cut Express as well?

I'd rather wait a month or whatever and get the latest version than buy now and have to pay for the update :)

2. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

Not very sure on Final Cut Express, but Final Cut Studio 2 is out and ships I believe May http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/.

3. SWC macrumors 6502

Considering what the changes were in FCS I don't expect anything that great in FCE. Almost all of the changes were tailored towards high end video work and there isn't much (other than multiformat timeline support) that will make it's way down to FCE. I'm sure its coming eventually but I wouldn't expect much.

4. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never used FCP or FCE before, and my only experience with video editing is iMovie, but from what you say it appears that FCE has gotten as good as it gets, and there's really no reason to wait for a (possible) newer version than the current one (3.5). Have I understood you correctly?

As with every update, looking back there's always something that has been (usually drastically according to the advertising) improved. Something that makes using it a whole lot easier. For those of you who have used FCE (the current version), are there frustrating things with it that you wish would be improved?

By the way, have all updates for PCE in the past been ones that you pay for, or have there been free updates as well? I have no idea what a "multiformat timeline" is, or what it's for, but if it's something I really need I might as well wait a little longer.

5. robemich macrumors member

multiformat timeline

The way it was explained on Maccast was that you can add clips of different types to the same timeline without converting them to some type of common format first. So you could have a timeline that could contain H.264, MPEG4, AVI, etc all running on the same timeline. In order to do something like this in iMovie, you would first need to convert everything over to one format like MPEG4.

I am sure there are a couple other points to it, but that was how it was explained to me. The pros can correct me if I am wrong.

I plan to purchase FCE, and I would for sure like to see this feature added to the updated version when it is released.

-mike

6. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

yeah I'd really like to get FCP, but if the only other thing it offers is motions then I'll get FCE and pick up Adobe after effects instead.

7. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Talking about Adobe After-effects...
    I've been wondering if it's possible to use FCE to create say a map (to illustrate the route someone is travelling), then have a moving (animated) red line follow that route so the viewer can see where he/she has travelled.
    I've been told that this can be done in either FCP as it comes with the "Motion" application, or with, as you say using After-effects.

I can't afford neither, so what other options are there.
    I met someone who told me about something called "Traceroute" which was supposed to do the job and didn't cost a fortune, but by searching the web all I come up with are networking tools with the function by that very name.

8. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

yeah I'm not sure, but many have said that AE works a lil better than motion which is why I considered it....i'll probably pick up one on ebay though...an older but not obsolete version

9. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Could somebody just lie to me and say that FCE 4 is coming out like on the 26th of june or something? :rolleyes: