New version of RedSn0w

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I updated to 5.1 using a custom IPSW made in the latest version of RedSn0w last week. I'm about to jailbreak, but since my update, a newer version of RedSn0w has been released. Should I install the latest RedSn0w before jailbreaking & use that, or should I use the one that I used to JB.

Thanks!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

as a rule newer is always better but info you need is always here! http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/14857834236/untethered-holidays

or to make it easier for those googled challenged. In bold apples to the the newest version of Redsn0w!

pdate #2: The b2 version of redsn0w includes the launchctl-related fix by @planetbeing as mentioned by @saurik here and here. As usual, you can just re-run redsn0w in jailbreak mode over your existing 5.0.1 jailbreak (even a PwnageTool one), making sure to de-select “Install Cydia” if you do. Always be sure to do a controlled “slide to power off” shutdown of your device before running redsn0w.
    Update #3: The b3 version of redsn0w fixes a problem where re-running redsn0w over an existing jailbreak would cause MobileSubstrate-based apps to stop running until MS was installed again. Now you can re-run the redsn0w jailbreak step without worrying about that (but still remember to de-select the “Install Cydia” option if it’s already installed).
    Update #4: The b4 version of redsn0w incorporates the 5.0.1 fix for iBooks, and also for sporadic problems with launchctl. Thanks to @xvolks for merging the iBooks (sandbox) fix from @comex’s github into the overall corona untether from @pod2g!
    Update #5: redsn0w version b5 incorporates yet another fix for iBooks, this time involving DRM. @planetbeing wrote a utility called “crazeles” that overcomes jailbreak detection by iBooks that would cause about 10% of images to show incorrectly. This fix is similar to the “hunnypot” fix that @comex wrote for the 4.x jailbreak. As usual, you can choose to install the fix either by re-running redsn0w over your existing jailbreak (de-select Cydia if you do that), or by installing the corona package from Cydia (it’s the same set of files no matter which way you choose).
    Updates #5b and #5c: Version b5b fixes an issue with using custom ramdisks on iPhone3G and iPod2G, and version b5c prevents redsn0w from crashing due to the ever-growing ramdisk size :).
    TIP: If auto-detection fails and redsn0w tells you no identifying data was found, you can always pre-select the appropriate 5.0.1 IPSW using “Extras->Select IPSW”.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Either is fine, no need to restore again, just JB

4. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Got it - thanks. & thanks Labman for the above. One other question: if I have PKGBKUP from my 4.1 Jailbreak, will that create any problems? It still shows up under my contacts, & I'm not sure if it will auto-install after rejailbreaking.

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

not unless you startup PKGBUP and select that particular package.

It's better to start from scratch if restoring to a complete new firmware.

Enjoy your JB

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

do a fresh backup with pkgbackup, Jailbreak, download pkgbackup and use the restore option. keep in mind 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak at the moment for 3gs and I4

7. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Cool - thanks, 'hero!

8. Ramonn macrumors member

redsn0w 0.9.10b8

This is what I just read on iDev Blog.

Update #2: Version 0.9.10b7 ... When stitching an IPSW, it can now grab your blobs directly from Cydia. It now shows a lot more info about your device (for instance, whether your iPhone3G has the vulnerable baseband boot loader, or whether your iPhone3GS has the old exploitable bootrom. (And the next new feature to be added will be built-in restore support, to provide an alternative to iTunes restores.)

Update #3: redsn0w 0.9.10b8 adds the ability to backup arbitrary directories or files from your device into a zip file on your Mac or PC. The new button is Extras->Even More->Backup and it requires your device to be jailbroken with the afc2 service enabled (most jailbreaks include that). By default it will backup your activation records from /var/root/Library/Lockdown, which is useful for everyone taking advantage of today’s SAM unlock using Loktar_Sun’s trick (more on that in a later post!).

Sounds awesome!

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem

9. hackthatphone, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Finally the A5 corona update has been added! Now if we could just get pwnagetool updated.

Update #1b: The OS X version of redsn0w has been updated to fix an issue for those running OS X 10.5.x or earlier.

Update #2: Version 0.9.10b7 of redsn0w adds a collection of useful features: It finally implements the corona-A5 jailbreak for iPhone4S and iPad2 devices still at 5.0.1. It can also re-install that jailbreak for those who accidentally uninstalled the untether. When stitching an IPSW, it can now grab your blobs directly from Cydia. It now shows a lot more info about your device (for instance, whether your iPhone3G has the vulnerable baseband boot loader, or whether your iPhone3GS has the old exploitable bootrom. (And the next new feature to be added will be built-in restore support, to provide an alternative to iTunes restores.)

Update #3: redsn0w 0.9.10b8 adds the ability to backup arbitrary directories or files from your device into a zip file on your Mac or PC. The new button is Extras->Even More->Backup and it requires your device to be jailbroken with the afc2 service enabled (most jailbreaks include that). By default it will backup your activation records from /var/root/Library/Lockdown, which is useful for everyone taking advantage of today’s SAM unlock using Loktar_Sun’s trick (more on that in a later post!).
    Here are the redns0w download links: