Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esotu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Alright, so I got my new Radeon 9800 Pro 128 edition in the mail today and quickly opened up my 1.6GHz G5 and put it in. I think I did everything right...I took the old one out, clicked the new one in and screwed the screw back in to secure it. Here is what my Profiler says:

ATY,R350:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e48
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A14401-117

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 128 MB
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

ATY,Rocket_B:

Does this mean that everything is working properly? If it is, what's the best way to test it's new capablities. I have WoW, but didn't notice an improvement right off the bat. Is there some settings I need to tweak or something I need to do to activate it? Also, should I use Aticcelerator to overclock it?

Thanks!!

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
With video cards, the sheer fact that you have video is proof that it's been installed correctly. With PCs, you'd need to do driver updates, but that can be skipped with a Mac. As for the tweakage/overclocking, it has to be asked why. Certainly, if you wanted to increase a game's framerate, you could overclock the video card, but on a 9800 Pro, that's not really an issue. So, if you have a good reason to overclock, go nuts. Otherwise, why bother?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It looks like it's in correctly. What card did you replace? For WoW, the change in cards may not affect it. Or maybe you have to go reset the video options in WoW.

esotu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Well, that's a good thing.

However, I am getting about the same FPS as I did on my old GeForce 4, the standard 1.6 g5 card. This doesn't seem right. Even with all the video options turned down, performance isn't much better. I expected a huge leap in performance, but have seen very, very little.

Is there anything I need to reset? Do I need to do so in-game or should I re-install the whole thing?

Thanks for the replies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.