New video card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 1Dx, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 1Dx macrumors newbie

Hello,
    looking to replace my 5770 in my 5.1 MP.
    looking for good and reliable solution.
    Thank you

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The only official Apple card that's faster is the Apple 5870. But it is outdated and overpriced.

Cards officially supported by companies include eVGA's 2GB Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition, and Sapphire's 3GB AMD 7950 Mac Edition.

A lot of PC cards can be used as well, with various caveats. For Nvidia PC cards, see the Nvidia card FAQ thread already posted above. Unfortunately nobody has made a nice FAQ for AMD PC cards, but the information can be found here: http://forum.netkas.org/

Certain PC cards can be flashed to work just as if they are Mac cards, even if there are no "real" Mac equivalents. You can flash these yourself with various degrees of difficulty ranging from trivially easy to requiring hardware mods such as replacing a chip. You can also get on Ebay and buy a card that someone has flashed for you.

3. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

what is the reason for upgrading, your needs will drive your decission. I am still using a 5870 in my hackintosh and it does everything I need, mutiple VM's and even boot into windows 7 for the occasional game.