Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Corning, producer of Gorilla Glass, has been a long time partner of Apple. Its ultra tough Gorilla Glass has been used in several generations of iPhones and iPads, including the recent iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

While Corning has published several videos that show how its Gorilla Glass is produced and tested, uBreakiFix recently visited the company's Gorilla Glass facility in Corning, New York, and has created a set of videos explaining how Gorilla Glass works and showing off some of the equipment that Corning uses to test Gorilla Glass.

The first video explains the details behind Corning's ion exchange glass strengthening procedure and its focus on "damage resistance," which sets Gorilla Glass apart from its competitors. It also shows tests between Gorilla Glass and regular glass, where Gorilla Glass significantly outperforms standard glass.

In November, Corning introduced the latest iteration of Gorilla Glass, Gorilla Glass 4. This next-generation Gorilla Glass is even more resistant than previous versions to glass shattering drops and it is able to survive 80 percent of face-down falls onto rough surfaces.

Corning's Gorilla Glass 4 is already shipping to manufacturers and should Apple choose to go with Gorilla Glass for its next-generation iPhones rather than sapphire as once again rumored, Gorilla Glass 4 could very well make an appearance in iPhones in 2015.

Article Link: New Video Gives Inside Look at Corning's Gorilla Glass Research Facility

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I dont know about you all, but I somehow always end up getting hairless scrathes on my screen and yes i take care of my phone, I dont even put my phone in the same pocket that i have my keys. Apple needs a better screen.

----------

Does it though?
Yes it does.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
But :apple: sapphire glass will be so much better! GorillaGlass is history already. :cool:

Besides, why would you scratch your precious iPhone with sandpaper? :eek: Only morons on YouTube do that! Or bend it...

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Has it been confirmed that the iPhone 6 uses gorilla glass 3? Mine has gotten far more scratches (quite easily) than any other iPhone I've had

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Why does the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus scratch much easier than the previous models?

Has it been confirmed that the iPhone 6 uses gorilla glass 3? Mine has gotten far more scratches (quite easily) than any other iPhone I've had

It's all in the oleophobic coating. It doesn't matter if Apple uses glass so scratch-resistant that nothing in the universe can leave even a hairline scratch. The oleophobic coating will always get scratched, and I guess the coating is a bit less scratch-resistant on the 6 and 6 Plus.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Was shocked to learn Gorilla Glass 4 is on note 4 already. Hope iPhone 6s gets it in 2015

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I can’t imagine that apple would invest this much money in sapphire and you can break it with a pencil eraser. It would obviously be strengthened or be thicker than the 1 mm they are testing in the video.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
It's all in the oleophobic coating. It doesn't matter if Apple uses glass so scratch-resistant that nothing in the universe can leave even a hairline scratch. The oleophobic coating will always get scratched, and I guess the coating is a bit less scratch-resistant on the 6 and 6 Plus.

Bummer to hear that. Presumably Corning/someone is working on a way to integrate those oleophobic properties into the glass. That would be super.

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I just got my iPhone 6 last week. Looking at your comments I'm starting to get worried about it. Do you guys have any screen protectors? How easily does it scratch?

Pretty easily. I always use screen protectors but with the delay in getting my screen protector for the iphone 6, i had to either not use the phone or be very careful with it.

Even though i knew i was getting my protector in a week and that the chances of getting scratches were slim, i still managed to have a few on it before i put the protector on. Once it was on, they were hidden away, but i know they are under there.

As someone else pointed out, it MAY not be the glass that is scratched and instead it's the coating. Either way, there are scratches. Hope that helps. But, of course YMMV and all that.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Why do people keep saying the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass? Neither Apple nor Corning has officially confirmed it. And the iPhone is not listed as a device with Gorilla Glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

Is there something I'm missing?
Yes. As it says in the Wikipedia article "some companies have contractual arrangements with Corning that prohibit listing of said companies' products."

"Some companies" refers mainly to Apple.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Why does the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus scratch much easier than the previous models?

Couldn't agree more. My iphone 6 screen feels very flimsy and cheap in comparison with my older iP4S. Plus it's already scratched and cracked and I've hardly ever dropped it.

----------

I just got my iPhone 6 last week. Looking at your comments I'm starting to get worried about it. Do you guys have any screen protectors? How easily does it scratch?

Very. Cheapest feeling iPhone screened produced this far. (IMO, the iP6 screen feels flimsy and very much like cheap plastic.) Love the rest of the phone though FWIW.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America
I love how these Gorilla Glass propaganda videos show how you can rub keys over the glass "all-day" without it scratching. Gorilla Glass, to me at this point, seems to only be a marketing ploy with minimal increases in durability.

That said, my iPhone's screen has shattered before and the replacement screen (from ) has several scratches, both deep and light. I know that drops and shattering are one thing, but how the scratches occur I would like to know. My phone is in a case that has a lip around the screen to elevate it, and I never put my iPhone in the same pocket with ANYTHING else.

Gorilla Glass needs to make some large advances and improvements to the product before I begin to truly believe that it is the product that is as hyped up as it is.

Not trying to totally bash GG here.

firthy374

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Why do people keep saying the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass? Neither Apple nor Corning has officially confirmed it. And the iPhone is not listed as a device with Gorilla Glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

Is there something I'm missing?

The Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs tells a little bit of the story of Jobs going to Corning to have them make Gorilla Glass for the first iPhone, but here's a neat article about the glass itself:

http://www.wired.com/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/all/

(The article also mentions the Jobs/Corning meeting.)

Applestock

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
San Diego Area
Apples and oranges

I think the whole idea behind apple adopting sapphire for phones was to use a similar ion exchange process to produce compression on the surface of the sapphire. If that ever becomes a commercial reality, then the comparisons between untreated sapphire and gorilla glass will be moot. Imagine how strong you could theoretically make sapphire in compression. It would blow GG out of the water. I believe that's what Apple was originally trying to pull together. Check out the patents.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Yes. As it says in the Wikipedia article "some companies have contractual arrangements with Corning that prohibit listing of said companies' products."

"Some companies" refers mainly to Apple.

That doesn't answer the question of why people are saying it. If Apple isn't admitting it, and Corning is prohibited from advertising it then why are so many people saying it? i.e. What piece of information is out there that's better than speculation or what "some guy on the Internet" said. Has anyone actually found the iPhone's glass to be identical (nearly?) to Gorilla Glass?

Jon-Erich

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
That doesn't answer the question of why people are saying it. If Apple isn't admitting it, and Corning is prohibited from advertising it then why are so many people saying it? i.e. What piece of information is out there that's better than speculation or what "some guy on the Internet" said. Has anyone actually found the iPhone's glass to be identical (nearly?) to Gorilla Glass?
As was mentioned before, Steve Jobs' biography goes into great detail about Apple's relationship with Corning. There was an entire section of a chapter that talked about it. It was actually because of Steve Jobs that Gorilla Glass found a market to begin with. So yes, Apple did have dealings with them and most likely still does.

Scottyltd

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
Sweden
Apple don't implement 'any' glass technology there is, they don't cut any corners in their products. They use the best because they believe in producing the best products with the best technology has to offer. Thats why they use the glass they use.

or......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.