Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
As some of you may recall, I had a long non-visible scratch on my iPad. Well, now a new scratch has appeared and it's visible definitely when the screen is on, mostly on a white background. This completely sucks. Luckily, it's at the bottom right of my iPad, when in portrait orientation right over the shift key.

I asked squaretrade and they dont cover minor scratches. It has to be completely broken.

How many of you have visible scratches on your iPad screen when it's on? I'm just curious. Maybe I'm too obsessive, but I'm really bummed right now.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I don't, but I did have a screen that had messed up coating (I suspect). Mine looked like someone took 3 fingers and rubbed them in a curved pattern on my screen except that no matter what I did I couldn't clean it off. I didn't know if this had happened by something I had done after I bought the iPad or if this is how it was when I bought it (I didn't notice it until several days after buying the iPad).

I could have lived with it since you can only really see it on solid backgrounds (mainly white) and at certain angles but I had to travel 2 hours to my nearest Apple Store to get my new iPhone 4 replaced and while I was there I showed them my iPad. The guy was very nice and replaced it for me.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
As some of you may recall, I had a long non-visible scratch on my iPad. Well, now a new scratch has appeared and it's visible definitely when the screen is on, mostly on a white background. This completely sucks. Luckily, it's at the bottom right of my iPad, when in portrait orientation right over the shift key.

I asked squaretrade and they dont cover minor scratches. It has to be completely broken.

How many of you have visible scratches on your iPad screen when it's on? I'm just curious. Maybe I'm too obsessive, but I'm really bummed right now.

I had a very minor scratch, not visible with the screen on, and I called AMEX Purchase Protection and they just gave me a credit for the full price of the iPad.

Check with your CC company.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I had a very minor scratch, not visible with the screen on, and I called AMEX Purchase Protection and they just gave me a credit for the full price of the iPad.

I don't think mine has that kind of warranty :-(. Also, i've had it since launch. I have to bring in my MacBook Pro at some point, so maybe i can convince them to help me out :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Even though its not covered, you might want to take to an Apple store to see if they will swap it for you. They don't have to, but people have been lucky.

Either way, if you are worried about scratches you should get a screen protector. Power Support (brand) makes excellent ones. Never, ever believe anyone on these forums who say that iPad/iPhone/iPod screens cannot be scratched.

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Even though its not covered, you might want to take to an Apple store to see if they will swap it for you. They don't have to, but people have been lucky.

Either way, if you are worried about scratches you should get a screen protector. Power Support (brand) makes excellent ones. Never, ever believe anyone on these forums who say that iPad/iPhone/iPod screens cannot be scratched.

They can be scratched...just returned one that had 6 deep scratches, from normal use. I expect the screen was somehow defective. However, Apple didn't return because of the scratches, which was frustrating (returned for another warranty issue).

She wasn't very helpful with the scratches, telling me that I "clearly" used a sharp instrument on my screen...very insulting considering I baby the machine and forked over the money for a Dodocase to protect it.

But, there are a lot of stories out there of people with scratches having em swapped. Probably depends on the Genius you get.

Good luck.
A.

Leafgreen

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
To the OP: you could just "accidentally" drop it.

LOL, but seriously for those who might try: I do not think breakage that result in drops are covered by insurance or service agreements. Buyer beware. :eek:

KameronBriggs

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Somewhere Sunny, California
Look for dust under the screen!!!
Get your OCD eyes out, and look for dust under the glass of the iPad while the screen is off. You can take it into Apple, and they'll replace it for free because of the dust.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
can you explain please?

Sure, basically the film filled in the scratch and made it look fine on the original iPhone. I was going to drive to get one today, but I was too lazy. Maybe on the way home tomorrow.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
LOL, but seriously for those who might try: I do not think breakage that result in drops are covered by insurance or service agreements. Buyer beware. :eek:

According to Squaretrade:

Thank you for contacting SquareTrade.

Your warranty protects your item from electrical and mechanical failures that may occur from normal use.

It also covers it from drops, spills or damages done by an accident.

However, minor or major scratches on item is not covered as we consider that a cosmetic issue which is not covered.

If item breaks or screen cracks, we would cover that.

In regards to your second question about replacement, we would like to inform you that we do not replace the item.

We try to repair your item and if its not repairable we reimburse you the replacement value of it.

You may file multiple claims within the warranty validity period, if we repair your item and send it back, warranty continues and further claims will be honored as well.

In case if we decide to reimburse you the replacement value, your warranty gets completed and no further claims can be filed.

Yes, if you purchase a new iPad with that reimbursement amount, you may purchase a new warranty for it.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

This caught my eye. I have an AMEX card in the drawer and never use it. I'm now going to be an AMEX purchaser especially with highly technical products that can be easily damaged (like the iPad).

I'm wondering when you filed your claim, did you have to send them your iPad? How did they have you verify the damage (scratch)?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
LOL :).

I'm going to try and get a power support crystal film and hope it covers the scratch. It worked on original iPhone. :)

Great idea! Get a screen 'protector' now...

I spent about $70 on various screen protectors before my iPad even arrived.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I hope when you go to the Genius Bar the guy is really nice. I have a tiny tiny ding right by my power button and I can't stand it, so I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I had a screen scratch.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Great idea! Get a screen 'protector' now...

I spent about $70 on various screen protectors before my iPad even arrived.

Well I believed the hype and hoped it couldn't happen to me. I won't make this mistake again.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I hope when you go to the Genius Bar the guy is really nice. I have a tiny tiny ding right by my power button and I can't stand it, so I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I had a screen scratch.

I honestly have zero hope for that.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
KameronBriggs said:
Look for dust under the screen!!!
Get your OCD eyes out, and look for dust under the glass of the iPad while the screen is off. You can take it into Apple, and they'll replace it for free because of the dust.

This is actually a good idea. I had a lot of dust under my iPad's glass that I learned to live with. Then one day I realised that I had somehow scratched the glass in a pretty central spot (I have no idea how, since I do keep it in a case and guard it with my life), so I decided to give the dust-under-warranty idea a go.

Thankfully the Genius who dealt with me didn't see the scratch, but I told him about the dust, he had a quick look and a few seconds later decided to replace it for me. I walked out with a replacement iPad, scratch-free and (largely) dust-free. It's basically impossible not to get at least a few bits of dust underneath due to the manufacturing process and the concept of putting a sheet of glass over a display. Thankfully none of it is visible at all when the LCD is on.

So my message is, if you do find dust under the screen it's worth an attempt at getting a replacement. It's clearly a common problem as mine was replaced immediately, no questions asked.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
This caught my eye. I have an AMEX card in the drawer and never use it. I'm now going to be an AMEX purchaser especially with highly technical products that can be easily damaged (like the iPad).

I'm wondering when you filed your claim, did you have to send them your iPad? How did they have you verify the damage (scratch)?

All the AMEX cards cover accidentally damaged and stolen items within 90 days. The cards with an annual fee (gold, platinum) also covers lost items and IIRC, extend the coverage past 90 days.

I filed the claim around 89 days after I purchased it using my AMEX blue. I told them that I dropped it and sent in a picture of the scratch. The scratch was so minor, I could only get it to show up in a picture under direct sunlight. I only sent them a picture. I didn't have to send them my iPad.

AMEX can make the decision whether to repair it or just credit you back the full purchase price. I thought they would just repair it since out of warranty iPad replacement is only a few hundred dollars but they ended up giving me a full credit.

The scratch doesn't bother me so much so I'm still using it. Essentially, I got a free iPad.

bostonte

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
All the AMEX cards cover accidentally damaged and stolen items within 90 days. The cards with an annual fee (gold, platinum) also covers lost items and IIRC, extend the coverage past 90 days.

I filed the claim around 89 days after I purchased it using my AMEX blue. I told them that I dropped it and sent in a picture of the scratch. The scratch was so minor, I could only get it to show up in a picture under direct sunlight. I only sent them a picture. I didn't have to send them my iPad.

AMEX can make the decision whether to repair it or just credit you back the full purchase price. I thought they would just repair it since out of warranty iPad replacement is only a few hundred dollars but they ended up giving me a full credit.

The scratch doesn't bother me so much so I'm still using it. Essentially, I got a free iPad.

I've filed similar claims in the past and was required to send the damaged item to a provided electronics reclamation/salvage address.

I suspect the wheels haven't completed turning on your claim and you'll be receiving followup instructions soon.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

That's pretty good customer service from AMEX. I have a feeling MC or VISA wouldn't be as forthcoming, although I think their protection package is just for lost or stolen. Great that it worked out so well for you, and thanks for sharing as will be dusting off that card here as a result.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
I've filed similar claims in the past and was required to send the damaged item to a provided electronics reclamation/salvage address.

I suspect the wheels haven't completed turning on your claim and you'll be receiving followup instructions soon.

AMEX has NEVER required the damaged item to be sent in. Last letter I got a few weeks ago said that the claim was resolved, they have issued a $665 credit (I have 32GB wifi) into my account and if I had any more questions, I could call them 24/7.

What CC company have you used for claims?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.