New Voice Dialer & Searcher

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kas23, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I downloaded a new voice dialer yesterday that I think is pretty cool. It is called Melodis Dialer. It's pretty much the same thing as Say Who and just as accurate. However, I think it works about twice as fast. Check it out - it may replace your Say Who if you have it.

Another voice activated app I downloaded today was vLingo. This appears to be very similar to the voice search in Google Mobile App, but instead of just finding your contact, you can call it too. Plus, unlike Google Mobile App, you can make a post on your Social Networking page, like Facebook, with just your voice. I have not tried this function yet, so I don't know if it works. You can also directly search on Google Maps. Things developed outside of Apple are progressing well. Pretty cool!

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Wow - good find. Within 1 min of downloading/trying the Voice Dialer app, I deleted Say Who and put Voice Dialer in its place! Super fast and accurate with a great layout. A+!

3. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, I used to like Say Who, but app seems to be a lot more sleek and Snappier. As for vLingo, I it is not as accurate as Google, but seems easier to use. Now all we need Melodis (maker of voice dialed above) to also add voice recognition to search Google. And Google Mobile app should have had a voice dialer from it's introduction, now they're falling behind.

4. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

I just tried vlingo and love the contact voice dialing...works great!

5. stiphone macrumors regular

Great App find!! I'm downloading Melodis voice dialer now and no more searching for contacts while driving!! Yeah!!! :D

6. james4513 macrumors newbie

This app really does work ... and well. Most impressive.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I heartily endorse this app until a better solution comes along.

And that would probably only be whatever Apple's solution is; this app is awesome.

8. shk718 macrumors 6502a

i just downloaded Melodis and love it (i wonder how their going to make money? unless this is a loss leader for a new application with more functionality) - i hope they do what google is doing and cheat and allow you to hold it to your head to speak.

Common apple open that function up to an API - it makes life much easier.

9. klownshed macrumors newbie

It doesn't understand my English accent at all, so for me it's unfortunately useless.

10. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

According to their website, this app is supported by and advertisement on the app. However, the only advertisement I see is for Melodis, the company who makes the app! This is such a sweet app, I hope they can extend it to voice searching on other apps like Google Maps and Google. Google Mobile App's voice search seems a bit clunky compared to this.

As for vLingo, I would like to hear from others if you think it is more accurate than Google Mobile App. The limited searches I have done tell me it is not.

11. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

I've been using vlingo for about a day now and I really like it. I would not go so far as to say the voice recognition is better than googles though. I think google has really moved ahead of everyone in this field. With their 1.800.GOOG.411 they have been able to collect a lot of data. I would say vlingo is pretty close though and works well for me. I do live in the USA in Miami, Fl...so I have a pretty neutral accent. I have heard some UK and Canada users having problems with it.

So I have a feeling google voice recognition is probably better if you don't live in the US.

12. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Melodis Dialer is very fast. Thanks for the report. For me, Say Who had already given way to VoiceBoxDial, and I've been testing vlingo too. Melodis might just displace VoiceBoxDial.

Not sure yet about vlingo. The fact that it search so many different things by voice is quite appealing.

13. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

On this topic, in my review of vlingo I just put up on my blog, this is one of my favorite things. From the vlingo home screen you can do all the functionality.

You want to do a search of a contact you say "Call Bob White mobile" and it will do the phonebook search and dial.

You want to map a location you say "Find movie theaters in miami florida"

You want to update your twitter status you say "Twitter hey look im voice tweet'n"

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Is a voice dialer app really useful when you have to launch the app just to use it, if it were intergrated with on of the phones physical buttons thane that would be great.

15. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Yes. I actually replaced my default Phone App in the iPhone dock with vlingo now.

I agree it would be much cooler if it were built in. For example you press and hold the home button for 3 seconds it beeps you say "call bob white mobile" and then it dials, but for now this is the closest we have and for me it's easier than scrolling through over 200 contacts.

16. stiphone macrumors regular

I agree that a hard button function would be excellent. I dun think that it can replace my phone app on the iPhone yet. Probably when they come out with something more consistent. It's still giving me some errors once in a while. Probably more English is not as good. :D

17. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

I agree, but this is just another thing that makes you scratch your head and wonder why Apple just didn't do it in the first place. I would have loved for this to have come native. Heck, Melodis could have developed it and sold it to Apple.

As for vLingo, it would be fantastic if it had the accuracy and Snappiness of Melodis Voice Dialer.

18. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Well my main reason for putting in the dock is for voice dialing, so I'm donwloading Meloids now to give it a try. Not that I won't keep vlingo as well, but I want the fastest auto dialer in my dock.

UPDATE:

Vlingo loads faster. Took an average of 2.5 seconds compared to a little over 4 seconds for Meloids

Testing from locked phone to when it says Dialing both took about 11-12 seconds so I think Meloids is a bit faster when looking up the number and that makes up for it's slower load time. I actually find vlingo to be more accurate for me though. Guess it depends on where you are from. I have a pretty neutral accent living in Miami, Fl USA so maybe that's why vlingo works better for me

19. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

New, but old, voice dialer program out now: Say Who Pro. Just seems to combine Say Who and Say Where plus voice search your contacts too. Price is 2.99, but you can get things like this for free.

20. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

I don't know if you know this, but you can adjust the lag time between Melodie Dialer finding your contact and when the actual call is made. You could set it to zero seconds, but if it doesn't hear you right, you will have no chance to stop it from calling the wrong person. But, I do agree, it takes Melodis a bit more time from pressing icon to be able to speak your command. From there, I think it's fast.

21. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've had my phone for a week and love it, but why oh why can't I do voice dialing on my BlueAnt in car bluetooth device?

22. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

Sorry, that would be too innovative. ;)

23. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I co-worker just showed me this app and it seems really cool. However, after I installed it and tried to use the contacts section, it looked like it's trying to connect to the internet. I closed the app and after searching, I saw that it is trying to collect and upload all of my contacts. Am I the only one who has a problem with this?

24. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Anyone?