Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I've been hearing reports that the old iPod earphones are better quality than the new ones. Can anyone give their feedback?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Both are lousy in my opinion. Neither really perform that great, but are sufficient for the standard listener who isn't attune to picking up flaws/ not used to superior quality of more expensive headphones. From what I have noticed is that the sound performance from both haven't really changed, it was more an aesthetic change between the new and old.

Also, neither are really that comfortable in your ears, I have heard complaints from all sides. I just used the new ones for the first time because my other headphone was missing its cushion. I didn't find it comfortable at all.

If you want better sound quality, comfort, and possibly noise reducing/canceling qualities out of your headphones, you will not be satisfied with the ones provided with Apple, old or new. I use Sennheiser CX300s and love them ($60-70 suggested retail). The ones included with iPods are meant to just to be cheap add-ins to the package since all players nowadays come with headphones. They both have about equal sound (mediocre at best) and are not that comfortable, so it is difficult to really say which is better or worse.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I've never owned an iPod. I am something of an audiophile myself, I am using Alesis studio monitors at home (I work in the music business…) but I am not too bothered about quality out on the road. But saying that I'll check out those Sennheiser's.

I just enjoy having Appleness surround me.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
The newer earbuds have much more low end bass. They are still pathetic though. The older ones had a much clearer mid and high but just as pathetic. They are good if you plan on losing your hearing though.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
The old ones suck compared to the new ones. I use the earbuds that came with my 2g nano with my 5g iPod cause after using the new ones for awhile I couldn't stand the old ones at all.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Well, here's my story with iPod earbuds. You can decide for yourself.

I went through 8 pairs of first gen iPod earbuds in a year, while I went through 3 pair of newer ones in 11 months. I think they sound good, but when compared to expensive headphones, they suck. I still use them, though.
Another reason is probably because I'm the only one I know that has ears that fit the earbuds perfectly. :cool:

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
The new ones are a few inches longer than the old ones otherwise pretty much the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.