New vs Old?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ViPhone, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Recent dilemma that I'm facing. A friend is offering a 64GB + 3G iPad 1 for $550. It's mint condition, and he's throwing in a case, which seems to be standard regardless. Should I go out and get the iPad 2 16GB Wifi, or buy his old one?

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Is Facetime and/or the camera important to you at all?

3. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Think of it this was, if you went to a bar would you try to pick up a fat old chick (iPad 1) or skinny young chick (iPad 2)?

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

That's a pretty decent deal for a 64 GB + 3G since apple is selling those for 729 without a case.

It all depends on your personal preferences really, if you really want white and a camera then i'd go for the iPad 2.

But if you'd rather have black and more storage, Get the 1st one.

The first generation iPad is not even a year old yet, so it won't be outdated for at least another year in my opinion.

6. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Facetime/the use or existence of the camera(s) are a little important to me I suppose. It would be neat to use Facetime on an iPad or Skype, in conjunction with my 4. But I've now read several articles, stating that the camera's in the new iPad are awful anyway.

I'd want to use it primarily for web browsing, student work (seeing as I am one), and watching movies/tv shows.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I'd wait a bit and see if you want the extra speed of the iPad 2.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Difference in thickness is 0.16" or about 4mm.

That can a big difference in a phone as many people carry their phone in a pocket. I suspect most people carry their ipad in a bag or something; in which case I'm not sure how that difference is significant in real world usage.

On the other hand, maybe you're this guy and do carry your ipad in your jeans pocket? :D

[​IMG]

9. Woch2331 macrumors member

iPad 1 = 'cougar'

iPad 2 = "valley girl"

10. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

That's true about the speed. I heard it is blazingly fast compared to the original and of course, the latest non-Apple tablets.

That does have to factor in I suppose.

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

While the new iPad is faster, I really don't see the need. iOS apps will work perfectly well still on the iPad 1. Just if a game needed the gyroscope you might feel left out.

I am hanging onto my iPad 1 and will upgrade to iPad 3 most likely. The changes mean nothing to me.

Camera? Whocares.
    Faster? Okay, but it will still run any iOS app fine (maybe not in a few years).
    Thinner? It's so damn thin already!

As an iPad 1 owner, I just don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

12. 2 Owls macrumors regular

When your friend gets his new iPad 2 after selling you his old iPad you'll wish you'd not bought it.

13. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Here's one that just sold on eBay a few minutes ago for $535.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=yBPgjo9NBuVjVkzjivVLg6KsUwA%3D#ht_500wt_1156

14. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

True. I'm guessing 16GB should be enough for me anyway. I'll probably be keeping 4 movies on it, plus >25 apps. I'll be doing a lot of web surfing on it. I thoroughly enjoy using it for the internet.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

To be fair, they're perfectly appropriate for video chat purposes, just not for still-shooting purposes.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The cameras are just fine for FaceTime/Skype.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I just sold my 64gb 3g with case for 550 today lol. It's a great price and if you need the storage and 3g you should grab it as the ipad2 doesn't really offer much of an upgrade. Or you could consider the ipad2 16gb wifi for walk away with 50 bucks in your pocket and have the newest gadget. I think if I do end up going ipad2 I'll probably get the 16gb wifi one as it seems like they have the best resale value and I didn't find myself needing anywhere close to that amount of storage, much less 64gb.

18. fanboy05 macrumors regular

Get the old one, in a year there will be a "new" one that should be worth upgrading to... maybe even one with 128 gb instead of 64 gb! or maybe a better screen, or more ram, or lighter or sturdier .. and of course it will be faster.... do you get my drift?