New vs old

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidra, Dec 30, 2012.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Have iPad, iPhone but always had PC's. Considering shifting; however, I do a lot of DVD burning.
    My question is that I can get some 2011 refurbs, but they only have 4 GB of RAM. How hard is it to manually upgrade them, and is it worth it to have the internal drive? I thought about just getting the 2012 (I want a 27"with at least 8 MB) and the external drive, but the reviews of the Apple superdrive are not that good...at all. And I figure by the time I pay for the memory upgrade, I could easily buy a new one that comes with 8 MB....

Suggestions? New or old?

2. gecko20 macrumors regular

First it has 8 GB not MB ;)
    But it depends of what you need it for. You can easily buy an external drive from an other producer or even a blueraydrive.
    If you do a lot of encoding buy the new one, but you should think that in the old Imacs the superdrive often has his problems...
    I would buy a new one with a really good drive (not apple)

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I would also recommend the new iMac.
    And buy a non Apple cheaper external drive.

About RAM upgradeability, the 2011 are really easy, just remove a few screws on the bottom to access RAM.

The new iMac 27" is also easy from the back, there is a door there.
    But, the 21" has no User Upgradeable RAM, you have to crack open the iMac to do so.

4. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, mind still recovering...GB. Given your comments, what is a good high quality external drive that is Mac-compatible? Is there a solid favorite?

5. zarf2007 macrumors regular

6. seigaroo macrumors newbie

I got a refurb came with 8gb ram said 4gb but it's also easy to add some. I got lucky also came with 2tb hd said 1tb and 2gb video which said 1gb :)