New Vs. Refurb? Just a $$ savings?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TLmac, Apr 21, 2015.

1. TLmac macrumors member

Is there any other reason to get Refurb other than saving $$?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not really. If the 2015 13" rMBP were available as refurbs at the moment, I would have gone that route instead of buying new.

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

There is no other reason other than to save money! What's not to like about refurbished Macs? They have the same warranty and you have the opportunity to purchase Apple Care. The only downside is it isn't the current models - and sometimes they do have current models.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I can vouch for refurbs. I've gotten a refurbed 2013 iMac 21" and love it. Aside from the white box it came in, there was no way to tell the difference between it and a new one.

Only reason NOT to buy refurb is if you want to customize your RAM, storage or CPU, and don't see the configuration you want in the list of available refurbs.

5. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I'll add to this and say that when the 15" MBP's weren't updated, I saved 20% buying a base 2014 15" refurb model. Apart from the white box, all accessories and documentation are new, and the MBP was mint with a battery with just 1 cycle. I'm glad I jumped when I did, as they're really hard to find now. Check daily and hang on for the spec you want (or as close as possible).

With the 12 month warranty and option of Applecare, it's a no-brainer if you need the computer now, and you get the 30 day return window too.

I've had mine since the 13" refresh, and I'm very happy with it. I needed the quad core and 15" screen with it being a main computer and replacing my iMac, but I knew that it would be several months before the 15" would be updated.

6. flur macrumors 68000

I have seen some folks choose refurbs because they want Mavericks rather than being locked into Yosemite. So that would be another reason.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I never get them because the free, extra one year warranty I get with my credit card does not apply to refurbs. But other than that and the brown box that some people don't care for, they are a pretty good deal.

8. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Apple replaces the battery and outside case, as well as runs tests to ensure everything works 100%. They also give you the full 1 year warranty and allows you to buy Applecare. Unless your credit card doesn't allow refurbs to have a warranty extension, there really isn't a reason to not go with an official refurb.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

If you are in US you can get some good deals on the new 2015 13" rMBP. For instance, today Best Buy is selling a new 2015 13" rMBP 128GB for $1099.99 (-$200 off) and on top of that you can get 10% off ($989.99) by using a coupon inside the movers packet from USPS. I originally purchased a new 2015 rMBP 256GB for $1234.49+tax from Best Buy about 10 days ago by using 10% off coupon + $50 EDU coupon (readily available for few bucks), but decided to return it and got this deal for $989.99+tax since I can manage with 128GB. These prices are cheaper than Apple refurb store so no need to buy refurb. If you want you can buy open box from Best Buy and save even more since you can still use the above mentioned coupons.