New Vs Refurbished

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rogelio1017, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rogelio1017 macrumors member

Getting ready to buy my very first iphone next week. I will be getting the 3GS. I could save $50 by buying a refurbished phone online through ATT. Has anyone experienced bad things with Refurbs? I really don't have a problem with them but i've never dealt with apple so thought i'd get advice from you guys who know alot more than I do about apple. Also if I get a refurb does that give me a better chance at getting a 3.1.2 ?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd say you would have a better chance of getting 3.1.2 than from Apple. The refurbs from AT&T are refurbished by AT&T so their warranty is 90 days. I could be wrong, but the AppleCare is from when the phone was originally purchased.

The good new is: since the 3GS has not been out for a year, it should still be covered and you can buy additional coverage.

Otherwise, you should be fine with a refurb.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know if you care about a jailbreak but incase you do you got alot better chances getting an old bootloader and firmware prior to 3.1.3 on a refurb than on a new unit.

4. ajones46 macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb'd 16 gig iPod touch 2nd gen and it's absolutely flawless. No problems whatsoever.

5. rogelio1017 thread starter macrumors member

ok so if i buy one next week i will have 90 day warranty which takes me to may of 2010. I wouldn't get the whole year i'd have it i bought a new iphone?

yes i do care about a jailbreak. I want 3.1.2. Do you think i can go to best buy or att store and ask to see what software is on the phone im getting?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The 90 day info is wrong. It's only 90 days or the rest of your warranty, whichever is longer, if you're getting a replacement due to a problem with your iPhone. If you buy a refurb, you get the standard year warranty, just like any other phone.

As far refurbs and the chance of getting 3.1.3 goes: I'd actually think the chance of getting 3.1.3 on a refurb depends on when it was refurbed, which you can't know from the box. It could be greater, if it was refurbed recently.

I don't think they're going to let you open box after box to see what software is on the phone.

7. rogelio1017 thread starter macrumors member