New vs Used

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I've had my 16GB Wifi iPad since Black Friday. I also picked up the Jack Spade Folio case for $69. I decided to take a look on Craigslist and found quite a few significantly cheaper than what I paid. For example, there's a 16GB Wifi + 3G for $525. I added up what I would get back on my return minus the restock fee and I'd end up paying approx. $50 more, but gain the 3G which I regret not purchasing.

The question is, any experience with purchasing one used? Anything to ask or be aware of besides firmware upgrades? Any reasons NOT to go with a used device?

2. supermanfan macrumors member

I almost never buy Apple products new. Lots on eBay and lots from Craigslist. Never had an issue. Typing on my Craigslist purchased iPad now. Beautiful specimen.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It alll depends on what you're comfortable with. Personally, I like purchasing all of my electronics new. I like knowing the full history of any device I own.

But that is just my preference, but if you're comfortable with a used iPad then no reason not to do that swap.

4. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Well, I bought a used iPad off of craigslist, then had it exchanged because of light leakage. Yay new iPad. :D

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u sure it was new?

6. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Just bought my 3G 16gb iPad for $500 off CL - it was originally bought by the previous owner before June 7th, the guy never activated 3G so I ended up calling AT&T an an hour later I had unlimited 3G for $30/month :D

My iMac 21.5" (late 2010) recently went in for screen yellowing repair. 2 weeks later they ended up giving me a 27" iMac i3 with an extra 2 years of apple care. This basically is $2100 of product - I originally paid $850 for the 21.5".

So....yes buy used but make sure it's under warranty :D;):apple:

7. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I wouldn't. I never like to trust someone with a piece of electronics, other than myself. When you don't know the history of the device, a lot of things could be wrong. Plus - you miss out on the pleasure of cracking open that brand new apple packaging. Which is one of my favourite parts.

8. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Well I had it exchanged in June. Apple Genius stated it was a new iPad and not a refurbished one. Either way, it didn't have a single scratch or dent on it, so looked a lot better than the used one.

9. 1969cj5 macrumors member

I buy very little brand new of anything. Although the iPad was new. Had to have it now